Sporting Lisbon agree ââ??¬1.5m deal for Pedro Mendes

Problem is Mendes and McCulloch are different types of players - one being the creative influence and the other a spoiler. As such, we're not going to ever play Mendes and Davis centrally so the latter (if he stays!) will play more often alongside Thomson, Edu or McCulloch to complement their styles.

With all the spoilers fit and playing well, McCulloch should be the least likely to play but neither Thomson or Edu have proved their fitness so big Lee will stay in the team for the time being - Hamilton in the SPL next week notwithstanding as he's suspended.

very true - I know what you're saying mate

Wasn't too keen on that quote - seems a little insulting to us tbh.

As for the comments about him having a better chance of the world cup, well he was in the national team wilderness while playing for Portsmouth and Spurs, it was him being at Ibrox which gave him the call up. So if he struggled to be capped while in England, where plenty Portuguese players thrive and get picked for their country, what makes him think he stands a better chance in his homeland?

I know what you're saying about the fact that he got called up whilst playing with us. However he is very much a fringe player and in no way guranteed a place in their squad. I don't think he'll want to take the risk of staying in Scotland when he could be seen week in week out in Portugal pushing himself more into the frame for definite selection. This will be at the forefront of his thoughts IMO. In all honesty, I really think he'll be looking to go back to Portugal. If it had been anyt other time, then maybe not. But in WC year, he will think that he cannot afford to pass up any opportunity to get inton that squad. To be fair, you can see his point. A last crack at being part of a WC squad is massive.

Depending on the fee it's a win-win situation for both parties IMO. We receive ~�£1.5million and his wage goes to Boyd. He moves home to a team he'll play more for and increase his chances of international recognition.

If Thomson and Edu can prove their fitness over the next few weeks, then I'd imagine this transfer will take place before the end of the month.

Depending on the fee it's a win-win situation for both parties IMO. We receive ~�£1.5million and his wage goes to Boyd. He moves home to a team he'll play more for and increase his chances of international recognition.

If Thomson and Edu can prove their fitness over the next few weeks, then I'd imagine this transfer will take place before the end of the month.

agreed on all counts

I think MoodyBlue is correct regarding Mendes motives and assuming MB is correct you could hardly blame Pedro.

Also think the comment about winning trophies was insulting Danny.

�£1.3 mil. Would not be more than a 50% loss on a guy who has returned to international football with a top national team since we signed him. :ffs:

One certainly scores more goals than the other... ;)

For a player who is the target of much abuse and has never been close to a fans' favourite, McCulloch has been excellent this year and deserves a lot of credit for adapting to the midfield position so well.

For a player who is the target of much abuse and has never been close to a fans' favourite, McCulloch has been excellent this year and deserves a lot of credit for adapting to the midfield position so well.

Yeah, by and large, McCulloch has had a good season; ironic then that he may lose his place over the next fortnight due to suspension.

Thomson and Edu have a lot to do to prove themselves more deserving of that single place alongside Davis in the centre unless Smith decides to move Davis back out to the right side.

sorry mate - i can't agree with that. i certainly don't think McCulloch has been 'excellent'. Far from it.

His touch is still poor, his distribution is poor, he doesn't in any way shape or form get a grip of the midfield and his timing of tackles is way off. Sorry, but I think he's just hiding in that position and doing the minimum.

yes he scored a great goal at the Piggery, but that goal and the one in Lyon do not excuse almost 3 seasons of dire displays from the guy. Big waste of money IMO. If you include transfer fee and his salary over the years - he has cost us in the region of �£4.5m - �£5m !!! (is it any wonder we've been fecked financially ?!) We've not had anywhere near that back in value of performances. Not even a fraction of it.