Sporting Lisbon agree ââ??¬1.5m deal for Pedro Mendes

Been particularly poor throughout his career actually. An average player whose reputation came from some Hollywood goals.

I remember how so many fans couldn't wait to see him in the CL. Well, he sure thrived there didn't he...

Mendes can move on, a player who never did it at Ibrox, nor anywhere else for that matter.

Are you being serious ? He came to us after we were knocked out by Kaunas last year and this season he played in three CL games before being injured... hardly enough to justify the criticism.

Are you being serious ? He came to us after we were knocked out by Kaunas last year and this season he played in three CL games before being injured... hardly enough to justify the criticism.

On the contrary, I think his performances in Europe and domestically are easily enough to justify all the criticisn thrown his way. He's a waster who freewheels through far too many games.

Sporting Lisbon could be ready to sell Miguel Veloso after it emerged they may be about to agree a deal for Pedro Mendes.

Sporting are reported to be close to agreeing a �£1.5million deal for the Rangers midfielder.

Rangers are in a poor financial position and Mendes is one of the highest earners, so they could be forced to part company.

Reports in Portugal claim a deal in principle is already agreed and now the player is ready to open talks with the Jose Alvalade club.

The news of a possible deal for Mendes comes after fresh reports over Veloso's future emerged.

Veloso's future has long been subject to speculation with Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City all said to be keen.

Barcelona were also again linked over the weekend, but the most concrete recent interest appears to have come from Serie A with Fiorentina confirming they would like him.

"We like the player, he made a good impression on us when we faced Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League and we had already followed him in the past," said Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino.

"He is a player within our reach, but the problem is that Miguel Veloso wants a starting spot and we cannot guarantee that."

courtesy of sky sports news!

I think that's OK money for Mendes tbh. He's been a massive disappointment for me and I think we should take the cash and run. Given we're in the SPL and our financial situation is well known, its not like we'd get much more for him at any point in the future. Maybe some of the money or saved wages will allow us to do something, but even if not, its more money in at a time when we need it.

Should be be surprised by how Mendes has played? He just seems to have lived up to that stereotypical European player who is talented but too often the game just passes him by and if things aren't going his way he just disappears instead of grafting his way back in to it.

Mike.

Dont get me wrong, I am happy enough to see him go as he has flattered to deceive in his time here. I just dont agree that 3 games is enough to justify harsh criticism (it was the CL that was specifically mentioned).

If the fee is 1.5 million quid I wouldnt be overly bothered seeing him go. With Davis as the midfield creator we dont need Mendes with Edu, McCulloch and Thomson beside Davis.

If selling mendes finances a new contract for boyd them im all for it. 1.5 mill plus the 30 grand a week hes on is a lot of money given our financial predicament. Our for over December too shows we didnt miss him or really need him.

Over the piece i think he has benen a dissapointment. I would certainly take the money.

I wonder how much he is on actually, I don't think it'll be 30k a week, but I'm guessing he's one of our higher earners which should free up money for a Bosman/loan or to go towards a new contract for Boyd?

Mike.

Dont get me wrong, I am happy enough to see him go as he has flattered to deceive in his time here. I just dont agree that 3 games is enough to justify harsh criticism (it was the CL that was specifically mentioned).

Fine, that's fair enough, but by that logic then neither is 6 games enough to slag off the rest of the team who played in the CL in its entirety. Not that I am saying you did, but few didn't.

If the fee is 1.5 million quid I wouldnt be overly bothered seeing him go. With Davis as the midfield creator we dont need Mendes with Edu, McCulloch and Thomson beside Davis.

Davis is a better craftsman than Mendes. You know why Mendes played the CL final with Porto - because they needed a DM to block Monaco's craft.

Where he gets this reputation for being a playmaker from is beyond me.

On the contrary, I think his performances in Europe and domestically are easily enough to justify all the criticisn thrown his way. He's a waster who freewheels through far too many games.

My criticism of him began in the October of '08 (after a purple patch of July/August/September where he probably played the best football of his entire career) when his Hollywood passes rarely delivered, he didn't playmake, and generally didn't work either. I felt like the only fan who didn't rate him, and I got some hefty abuse for my view.

Where were ye back then eh?! :)

At the end of the day I don't want to lose any players just now as we have built up a bit of team spirit & momentum,piggery game aside, but most of our best performances have happened when Mendes was out of the team. I am not a fan of Mendes as he hides in most games and only occasionally produces a special shot or pass now and again, I would rather see a younger player get more game time and I doubt whoever came in would not do any less than Mendes.