Gersnet Analysis - Scotland's Real Secret Shame

http://www.gersnet.info/fmrangers/newmain/250806.html

Let me tell you a bedtime story....

A few months ago a group of Celtic fans aided by their 'useful idiot' in the media, a sprinkling of Celtic-minded MPs and a couple of on-message academics decided to make an issue of a song sung by Rangers fans - specifically one word - which while not literally offensive was argued by the group to offend them and be unacceptable.

That group of fans actually contacted their club and one person within that club who they thought would sympathise with their position. Surprisingly, firstly to them and to their supporters, the club warned them that nothing positive would come of their complaints. They told them while the problem was unsavoury it was only a mirror image of Celtic's similar problems with certain terms and songs. As such, the club told the complaining group that although they might get a result initially; over the long term only damage would be done to all parties.

Over the subsequent months the group made their complaints and obtained their victory. Rangers fans were villified, the club fined, the offending term and chant condemned by all and also importantly banned by UEFA according to their new laws concerning such songs.

Nevertheless, their hypocrisy shines brighter than ever. '******' is offensive and sectarian but 'hun' or 'DOB' is just the craic. Songs about some issues are bigotted and unacceptable. Glorification of terrorist organisations are political and a rightful expression of the downtrodden rebel. Players mimicing flutes (to their own fans) are offensive and provocative while blessing one's self several times amongst other behaviour (in front of oppostion fans) is denying a catholic of their sporting beliefs. Players writing silly comments below their autograph is disgraceful and disgusting. PLayers calling opposition fans DOBs or shouting about the IRA just didn't happen OK...

It sounds incedible doesn't it. Welcome to Scottish football. The place where banter and oneupmanship doesn't stop at football but goes right up the ladder to the very top. Politics, religion and law. All because of a wee white ball.

And we wonder why we're so sh!t at the game?

Unfortunately is the saturation of the sectarian issue by the media and the people who fake the moral outrage by reporting clubs and fans and players that is making the situation worse instead of better. The worst thing is the people who can really change things such as the media, the politicians and the footballing authorities are the ones throwing the dice in this game of chance. By doing so they are gambling not with their own petty agendas but with the future of our game.

The stakes are high and we are losing. All of us.

To be honest Frankie i do not think we are losing. Once the scales are sloping to one side they will have to put weights on the other side to get the balance again. Secterianism has to be faced up to now. I have no problem with that. If we have to clean our bedroom first then so be it. It is time to move into the twentieth century. It is time to support Rangers and not sectarianism.

I'm not saying Rangers fans are losing but football fans and society generally.

The sectarian issue is not one which should be ignored by anyone but the saturation of it in the media and politics is holiding back our national game and the real problems in society are being pushed to the side.

I'm not saying Rangers fans are losing but football fans and society generally.

The sectarian issue is not one which should be ignored by anyone but the saturation of it in the media and politics is holiding back our national game and the real problems in society are being pushed to the side.

Frankie i agree it should not be ignored, but if two obstenate people don't give in then there can be no agreement. If we get our bed in order first then we will be seen to be the winners. If we are seen to be the bigoted party we will be hunted for years to come.

To be honest Frankie i do not think we are losing. Once the scales are sloping to one side they will have to put weights on the other side to get the balance again. Secterianism has to be faced up to now. I have no problem with that. If we have to clean our bedroom first then so be it. It is time to move into the twentieth century. It is time to support Rangers and not sectarianism.

How about the 21st century Pete ? ;)

Pete we are getting our bed in order.

Our fans have been superb this season and our alleged offensive songs and chants have disappeared home and away going by the last few games.

Can you say the same for Celtic, their fans and even their senior players of late? No.

Which is why I'm making the point of loss. No-one is winning here while one party are being villified and the other party getting off scot-free.

We gave in and we're fixing our problems. And we're still the offenders.

Frankie you have to have patience, stopping for three games does not make us an non-alchoholc. The problem lies deeper than that. It is a great thing that we have shown in a few weeks we are willing to change. We must not worry what others are doing, we have to get our own house in order instead of worrying about the rest. If we set the borders then the rest have to stay with in them.

Great piece as usual Frankie,

I couldnt agree more that its a thing that needs wiped from our game. We look at the eastern Europeans and critisise them for actions yet our game gives of stuff from the victorian ages.