I wonder what Smith can do - he's been out with horrible injuries, has barely regained fitness much less match fitness and probably wont get 3 games in a row while he stays with us. I want Papac back as well, because he's consistent - but I do feel for Smith, and all the other players who are expected to come into the side despite not being match fit and give world beating performances. Hutton didn't get good until necessity gave him a run of a million games.

id have smith in the team before whittaker any day of the week. didnt think he was that bad on saturday though i was dissapointed at the amount of oppertunities he turned down to crooss the ball. i would definately keep him and would have no problem giving him a run in the team.

I wonder what Smith can do - he's been out with horrible injuries, has barely regained fitness much less match fitness and probably wont get 3 games in a row while he stays with us. I want Papac back as well, because he's consistent - but I do feel for Smith, and all the other players who are expected to come into the side despite not being match fit and give world beating performances. Hutton didn't get good until necessity gave him a run of a million games.

I do agree with you there BMcK. I did say i did like Smith, and for years i was hoping he'd make it and always watched him play closely when he did play.

But he's not a youngster anymore and has been very unlucky with injuries and the selections of team by the manager.

He is good back up and your right he does need games, maybe that would see him fulfill the potential he once had as a youngster.

However, right now we cannot affoard to bring a guy in who's played a handful of games in the past 5 years. If we do that we could lose the points we're ahead of Celtic, or worse, the league and a pot of money with it.

I'd like to see Smith play consistently, but maybe another season as we need Papac back there to do a job for us right now.

Aye, bit unfortunate with the penalty but played well overall. Not the worst emergency centre back, but I would not want to rely on him regularly. Very impressive left back though.

To be Fair, you haven't see Papac play regularly at Centre back and so can't judge him on one or two games. He was bought highly recommended as a CENTRE BACK and was only played at Left Back by Default. So, to question why people still refer to him as a centre back is a naive comment as he IS a Centre Back by trade!

Edited by John Barr

To be Fair, you haven't see Papac play regularly at Centre back and so can't judge him on one or two games. He was bought highly recommended as a CENTRE BACK and was only played at Left Back by Default. So, to question why people still refer to him as a centre back is a naive comment as he IS a Centre Back by trade!

Papac stepped in at CB earlier in the season & played extremely well there, so I don't have a problem with him playing there if we ever need him to. If Weir retires in the summer and Bougherra is sold on, we might just see Papac and Wilson as our 1st choice central partnership because Papac would be a better choice to move in from full back than Broadfoot & we have Smith and Wylde to play left back.

Bought to play CB by the same man who bought Svensson to play CB. I'll take my chances with him at LB personally.

Papac is a left back who has previously played centre back and can do so in emergences. But he is a left back. People only deny so when using it as a stick to beat Smith or to moan about our current situation. The Doctor sums it up well.

Bought to play CB by the same man who bought Svensson to play CB. I'll take my chances with him at LB personally.

Papac is a left back who has previously played centre back and can do so in emergences. But he is a left back. People only deny so when using it as a stick to beat Smith or to moan about our current situation. The Doctor sums it up well.

I prefer him as left back too, thats not the point i was making.

He IS a Centre back!

I prefer him as left back too, thats not the point i was making.

He IS a Centre back!

No, he is a left back who can play at CB. Or as Calscot has stated numerous times Christian Dailly and Lee McCulloch are strikers. And there are a load of ridiculous ideas we could come out with. Also makes Alan Hutton a striker.