The Scottish League Cup has not only changed names over the years (due to sponsorship) but it has been the domestic cup competition that has also changed format on more that one occasion. I am just old enough to remember the League Cup kicking off in (sectional) group stages which were ditched for the more standard ââ?¬Ë?knock-outââ?¬â?¢ format in season 1984/85. It is also a competition that has served us as a club well in the past. Given that, it is no surprise that many of us will have a special memory of the League Cup Final (the 1984 3-2 victory against Celtc was my first ever OF game), and it has served up some fantastic games over the year (my particular favourite would have to be the 1988 final against Aberdeen).

We as a football club have an exceptional record in this competition that gets labelled the ââ?¬Ë?diddy cupââ?¬â?¢ (unfairly in my opinion) in some quarters. Today marks our 33rd Scottish League Cup Final appearance since itââ?¬â?¢s inception in 1947, winning 25 times (everything crossed for victory number 26). Below I have recounted not only my favourite League Cup Finals, but those that have marked ââ?¬Ë?firstsââ?¬â?¢ in my Rangers supporting life :

1981-82 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 2 v 1 Dundee United - my first ever League Cup Final that was secured thanks to goals from Davie Cooper and Ian Redford.

1983-84 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 3 v 2 Celtc ââ?¬â?? my first ever Old Firm game saw us winning the cup against Celtc thanks to a brilliant Ally McCoist hat-trick. Iââ?¬â?¢ll never forget the Celtc end (half empty) cheering Bonnar saving Allyââ?¬â?¢s penalty, only for McCoist to ram home the rebound.

1986-87 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 2 v 1 Celtc ââ?¬â?? our first trophy of the Souness era and a game that marked the ââ?¬Ë?turning of the tideââ?¬â?¢ in our favour. Durranty scored the opener and Davie Cooper winning the game from the spot.

1987-88 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 3 v 3 Aberdeen ââ?¬â?? the first of two successive unforgettable League Cup Finals against Aberdeen saw us secure this pulsating game thanks to penalties. The stand-out memory of the game was Davie Coopers thunderbolt free-kick that Bandy Leighton almost saved on its way back out of the net!

1988-89 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 3 v 2 Aberdeen ââ?¬â?? the second instalment of the unforgettable cup finals against Aberdeen and prior to the game, the experts predicated that this game couldnââ?¬â?¢t live up to the previous years final. Well, it did! The game came weeks after Durrantââ?¬â?¢s horrific injury at Aberdeen and a last minute McCoist goal secured us the cup. This should have been the 1st part of a treble but after securing the title, we were cheated out of the Scottish Cup.

1994-95 ââ?¬â?? Raith Rovers 2 v 2 Celtc ââ?¬â?? McStay missed a penalty ââ?¬â?? enough said!

1996-97 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 4 v 3 Hearts ââ?¬â?? a game played at Torbett Towers in terrible conditions that served up a great game. Neil McCann played wonderfully for Hearts that day but thankfully Gaza played a bit better and helped secure us a tight victory.

2001-02 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 4 v 0 Ayr ââ?¬â?? Rangers u8nder Dick Advocaat were at times an utter joy to watch. Witnessing Kanchelskis stand on the ball in the most extravagant ââ?¬Ë?show-boatââ?¬â?¢ ever in a cup final was priceless.

2002-03 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 2 v 1 Celtc ââ?¬â?? now under the control of Alex McLeish but still playing some brilliant football, we destroyed Martin Oââ?¬â?¢Neilââ?¬â?¢s Celtc for the fist hour of this game. Celtc came back into the game and missed a late penalty (thanks John Hartson).

2004-2005 ââ?¬â?? Rangers 5 v 1 Motherwell ââ?¬â?? The Davie Cooper Cup Final and a performance and result to grace such an occasion.

I am sure other fans will have other cup finals that they prefer and that hold significant memories for them. Let�s hope that today�s final delivers some more fond memories and another reason for us to love the League Cup Final and the first step to a glorious treble.

Cammy F - We Are The People :spl:

First League Cup final I went to was 1981-82 and I was in the main stand enclosure - below the level of the pitch. I thought we'd lost it when Dundee Utd went 2 up and from my crap position it took me a few minutes to understand it had been chalked off for off-side. The Gers then came back for a brilliant 2-1 win with goals from Ian Redford and Davie Cooper.

I also recall Derek Johnstone rattling the post with a bicycle kick as Rangers had a great second half.

I think the victory was so much sweeter as I thought we'd lost it.