Oh dear the gravy train has hit the buffers

Have you any notion of the quite gigantic debt Real Madrid are in? If they make 100M in profit then rather than that being spent on improving their club, it should be going to clear up their debts which are something like �£500M.

That doesn't quite fit with this whole plan.

Either that or I'm missing something.

Real may be in debt but they dont make a loss , that's where this plan is different , the days of clubs running up hugh debt will be finished if Platini gets this in , in fact that's one reason why Abramovich changed over �£300 million of debt into loan notes at their last published accounts

Real may be in debt but they dont make a loss , that's where this plan is different , the days of clubs running up hugh debt will be finished if Platini gets this in , in fact that's one reason why Abramovich changed over �£300 million of debt into loan notes at their last published accounts

What is the difference between loan notes and debt ? Loans=debt, no ?

However.... if what you say is true then surely all that does is strengthen the belief that clubs will simply re-arrange debt so that it is equity, or at least not debt.

I like the plan in principle because European footy runs the very serious risk of implosion due to the rich clubs stretching beyond their means but leaving all of Europe behind them.

However, the practicality of it will be very difficult to implement.

What is the difference between loan notes and debt ? Loans=debt, no ?

However.... if what you say is true then surely all that does is strengthen the belief that clubs will simply re-arrange debt so that it is equity, or at least not debt.

I like the plan in principle because European footy runs the very serious risk of implosion due to the rich clubs stretching beyond their means but leaving all of Europe behind them.

However, the practicality of it will be very difficult to implement.

I alluded to the same earlier in the thread. Clubs from the major nations will not let their stranglehold of the finances go without a fight. If Platini is serious,, I could see talk of breakaway leagues, refusal to play in UEFA competitions and much more.

I alluded to the same earlier in the thread. Clubs from the major nations will not let their stranglehold of the finances go without a fight. If Platini is serious,, I could see talk of breakaway leagues, refusal to play in UEFA competitions and much more.

They can refuse to play in UEFA competitions all they like , the reality of any such moves is that under current statutes they are all licensed by UEFA and ultimately FIFA , by the time that all this went through the relevant courts any players wanting to take part would not only be retired but probably picking up their old age pension .

The only change to any clubs plans re-transfers is that they would not be allowed to over spend , it's not only in the Uk where clubs are getting into serious hock , and a recent UEFA study showed that 67% of clubs across europe are in debt that they cannot reasonably sustain

The biggest transfers in the world are in Spain and Italy. 45M and Sammy Eto'o for Zlatan. 56M for Kaka. 80M for Ronaldo.

Platini just doesn't like the success of the EPL despite the fact that the biggest price an English club has ever paid for a player is still Man City's 34M for Robinho.

Furthermore, in the top 10 highest paid players in the world, only 2 are from English clubs - Tevez and Lampard. The rest are all Italy and Spain.

I don't deny there's money flowing in England, but it's a cheek and a lie to say it's far worse in England than anywhere else.

And if these proposals are universal and directed at Spain, Italy and the rest as well as England, then that article is very misleading.

Erm...try adding up what the top 4 or 5 teams in England have spent collectively in comparison to the top few in the other main leagues :whistle:.

Yes the most expensive players largely play in Spain and Italy but thats because the best players tend to play there. You mention Barcelona. Yes they spent big on Zlatan but much of their squad is homegrown and the team that destroyed Man Utd in the CL final last season cost a fraction of what the United team cost.

Also, mid club teams in England spend sickening money on players. Roy Keane spend near �£100m at Sunderland largely on medioctrity. Compare that to what mid table clubs in Spain, Italy etc spend. Clubs at the bottom of the premiership can outspend a lot of big European clubs.

PS - To put my point very simply, if you were to total up the expenditure on players in all the leagues in Europe in the previous 5-10 seasons England would dwarf every other nation by a mile.

Edited by Totti