There was with the 4-3-3 as well, with Prso played on the left of a front three.

Fair enough.

I don't have a problem with a 4-3-3 in principal. I just find the current situation somewhat amusing. Football fans are rarely consistent and not unhappy unless they're complaining about something. :D

There was with the 4-3-3 as well, with Prso played on the left of a front three.

McLeish played a lot of different formations, the only successful one being the 4-3-3 of his first 18 months

Lovenkrands was a revelation on the left or in the centre of a 4-3-3. Then McLeish decided to play him as a left winger in 4-4-2, making him track back etc. He was so bad we ended up letting him go on trial to Middlesbrough at the start of the 05/06 season

Also, he abandoned the 4-3-3 immediately after our best midfielder (and player) Barry Ferguson left for Blackburn. This was totally mind boggling as we went from a midfield trio of Ferguson, Ricksen, Arteta to a 4-4-2 with Arteta partnering first Emerson, and then Stephen Hughes

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

I remember being on these boards and others during Eck's reign and fans would routinely go nuts about Eck playing "4-2-4", having two central midfielders with 2 wide men either side and 2 strikers. Fans would go nuts and wonder why we got over run in midfield with only 2 "proper" midfielders.

Now people are complaining because we often play with 3 proper midfielders; 2 central, Davis wide right and cutting in and a wide/attacking man on the left.

And people are going nuts again. :confused:

Many fans on here and FF in particular that I view are crying out for this so-called "4-2-4" formation that everyone hated under Eck.

Now granted it may not be the same people, but law of averages with the number of people now requesting that formation seems we have a lot of hypocrites in our midst. :confused:

Eck played a 4-3-3 with 2 out of position strikers such as Arveladze and Lovenkrands. Cannigia was used on the right.

Not read the whole thread but I don't really recall a 424 under Ecky.

I'm absolutely positive there was a lot of teeth gnashing at a supposed 4-2-4 with two wingers and two attackers.

Yes, Eck played a 4-4-2/4-2-4 for a period with two attacking players out wide, leaving us often exposed in the middle of the park. Rarely in modern football do sides regularly play a traditional 4-4-2 with two strikers and two wingers/attacking players on the flanks. If they do so, they'll have 2 very strong central midfielders capable of defending and holding their own and Eck didn't have this.

In 02/03 though he had a lot of success with a midfield 4 containing Ferguson and Arteta in the middle, Ricksen on the right (he could attack and cut inside to support the central midfield) and Lovenkrands wide on the left. this was a formation that was versatile and could become a 4-3-3 on the attack. Especially with De Boer often playing a free role off a main striker.

The best example I can think of of successful midfield 4 in recent seasons is the Man Utd midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham. One out and out winger (Giggs) and 3 players who can play in the middle of the park. Keane in defensive mid, Scholes attacking and Beckham on the right.

Walter's current midfield is a bit of a mess. Playing players in their proper positions would be a start, namely Lafferty.

PS - Super Ally, the smug posts you keep making of this nature are very boring. I remember an almost identical one recently saying that because James Milner played part of a match at full back for England it showed that Rangers fans were hypocritical to moan about Smith playing people out of position....or some bullshit.

Edited by Totti

Yes, Eck played a 4-4-2/4-2-4 for a period with two attacking players out wide, leaving us often exposed in the middle of the park. Rarely in modern football do sides regularly play a traditional 4-4-2 with two strikers and two wingers/attacking players on the flanks. If they do so, they'll have 2 very strong central midfielders capable of defending and holding their own and Eck didn't have this.

In 02/03 though he had a lot of success with a midfield 4 containing Ferguson and Arteta in the middle, Ricksen on the right (he could attack and cut inside to support the central midfield) and Lovenkrands wide on the left. this was a formation that was versatile and could become a 4-3-3 on the attack. Especially with De Boer often playing a free role off a main striker.

The best example I can think of of successful midfield 4 in recent seasons is the Man Utd midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham. One out and out winger (Giggs) and 3 players who can play in the middle of the park. Keane in defensive mid, Scholes attacking and Beckham on the right.

Walter's current midfield is a bit of a mess. Playing players in their proper positions would be a start, namely Lafferty.

PS - Super Ally, the smug posts you keep making of this nature are very boring. I remember an almost identical one recently saying that because James Milner played part of a match at full back for England it showed that Rangers fans were hypocritical to moan about Smith playing people out of position....or some bullshit.

So pretty much what we play right now, Davis who isn't out and out wide. With 2 central players and a wide man.

Cheers. :thup:

I thought the main complaint under Eck was that we were playing two attackers in wide positions rather than playing two wide midfielders or wingers out there. There's a big difference IMO, to playing 4 in the middle, two central with two wide players and wingers, than playing with guys like Novo, Lafferty or Naismith in a kind-of winger, kind-of striker, kind-of attacking midfield role etc.

In recent times, we seem to have a problem with playing guys out of position. Arveladze was criminally wasted out there (especially when you look at his goal-scoring record for other clubs when being played through the middle) for example and Lovenkrands was a complete waste of space.

Its not so much the formation as the players we use in that formation.