SMITH says Wilson has right temperament despite Liverpool link

More...

WALTER SMITH reckons Danny Wilson can handle the attention as he continues to deputise for Madjid Bougherra and Rangers aim to get closer to the SPL finishing line.

It was confirmed to the web site last week by Chief Executive Martin Bain that Liverpool have enquired about the talented centre back and there has been other interest from the Premiership.

An offer from Rangers to extend remains on the table for Wilson - who has a year left of his current contract - and Smith hopes the 18-year-old takes that up.

However, in the interim he does not believe the media attention will have any impact on Wilson's performance as Rangers get set to face Aberdeen at Ibrox tomorrow night.

He said: "I don't think Danny will be affected by the speculation. He is a level-headed boy and I'm sure he will handle it.

"He has played over 20 games for us now which is terrirfic from his point of view and he will go into the Aberdeen game the same as any other.

"Negotiations are contuining with his agent about staying here and hopefully they will be settled soon.

"There has been an enquiry from Liverpool but there is no offer from them."

Smith, of course, would prefer Wilson to remain with Rangers and develiop but he knows that the power of Premiership is hard to resist - for any Scottish club.

He saidl: "Danny is just a young lad starting out. That's where we are. I would have thought that having signed for Rangers it was his ambition to go on and play for the club and he has done that.

"The thing is any of the clubs in Scotland can be affected by interest from English clubs if they have good young players.

"The Premiership clubs have been paying as much for young English players as expereinced ones so they have turned their attentions to Italian or French players so why not Scottish ones?"

Smith confirmed that Madjid Bougherra and Kirk Broadfoot are back in training but the Aberdeen game comes to soon for both.

You need to ask yourself why Bain and Smith found it helpful to the situation to say that Liverpool had enquired in him.

Very fair point actually.

Perhaps they feel the lad is definitely going to leave so they're starting the auction for his services early.

I'm not reading into this chain of events. It's likely that Bain and Smith are simply answering questions put to them in interviews rather than cunningly releasing information to market the player. Having said that, I can't see them refusing an offer of �£5m or more should one come in.

I'm not reading into this chain of events. It's likely that Bain and Smith are simply answering questions put to them in interviews rather than cunningly releasing information to market the player. Having said that, I can't see them refusing an offer of �£5m or more should one come in.

Although he has great potential I wouldn't turn down �£5m+ either but that money would be needed to invest in the squad.

However I think EPL teams are trying to get a cheap deal and the media reporting constantly of our financial troubles, plus he has a year and a bit on his contract left.