'McCoist is Ready', says Smith

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/04/22/ally-mccoist-is-ready-to-take-rangers-hotseat-insists-walter-smith-86908-22203121/

WALTER Smith has told manager in waiting Ally McCoist he is ready to take the reins at Rangers.

The Ibrox boss believes his assistant has earned the right to become his own man after learning the ropes over the last three seasons.

Whether Smith decides to walk away from the club this summer remains to be seen but he has no doubt McCoist is more than capable of filling his shoes.

Smith said: "We've worked together for three and a half years and he's now served his apprenticeship. He's now as ready as he's ever going to be in a managerial sense. He brings a lot of knowledge to this football club.

"Ally's a personable chap and he creates a lively atmosphere wherever he is.

"He's just one of those people who lifts everybody when he's in a crowd and that's an important part of a football club when you are involved in day-to-day training.

"But he has a really serious side when he gets down to the business aspect of football and when he's handling players - and he handles them very well.

"He has a much tougher side to him than a lot of people would imagine."

Smith also praised fellow backroom coach Kenny McDowall for his role in creating a winning mentality at the club, although he insists the final say will always be the manager's when it comes to team affairs.

Speaking on BBC ALBA, Smith said: "Kenny was someone who I found out about through my Scotland contacts who were telling me he was doing an excellent job as reserve team coach at Celtic.

"Even though he worked at Celtic, I knew his family had a Rangers background so when I approached him he was keen to come and join Alistair and myself and he's been doing a fantastic job for us.

"They, along with Ian Durrant and Jim Stewart, do the background work. They take all the different training aspects but if there are bits and pieces we need to talk about I will step in and do that every now and again.

"But they do all the day-to-day aspects involved in a football club and I oversee it. If there are any problems then I will step in to look after that.

"The lads have worked so hard to create a good atmosphere on the training ground and that's apparent with the spirit and determination the boys have - it all stems from that.

"Even though I have the final say, the coaches have their input as to how the team should be set out. "

As Rangers attempt to complete their triumph over off-field adversity by sealing the SPL title against Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday, Smith knows from experience nothing can be taken for granted in football .

He said: "Football is a strange game as there are times when you deserve to win and you do, other games you deserve to win and you don't.

"There are games you deserve to lose and you can win the mand the manager has to assess things so regardless of the result.

"You need to criticise if it's due and if there is praise due then regardless of the result we would have to administer that. That's where a manager's instinct comes into play."

Must admit I have niggling, unsubstantiated doubts about the ability of McCoist to manage our club but Walter Smith will know better than me given my doubts are probably misplaced simply because of the outgoing personality of Ally.

I'd rather Walter Smith stayed for another season or two, but if he goes in the summer I'll be happy for Ally to take over with Kenny as his assistant as they've very clearly played a massive part in making this current Rangers team successful.