Beasley Confirms Rangers Departure

From the MLS Daily...

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Beasley Confirms Rangers Departure

U.S. international midfielder DaMarcus Beasley is set to move away from Ibrox Stadium this summer, confirming on his official Twitter account that his time with Rangers has come to a close following Sunday's Scottish Premier League finale. A telling sign of his impending departure came even before the out-of-contract winger's comments were made public on Sunday morning: he did not even make the bench for Rangers final two games of the season, even though the team had already clinched the SPL title in late April.

"Will always have love for glasgow and of course RANGERS!! time to open a new chapter in my book! Look forward to the upcomin months," read Beasley's first Twitter message on Sunday to hint at a change of course, followed by the confirmation, "yes Im leaving for everyone that asked.. Will never forget my time at RANG*ERS!! Thanks for all the messages from the best fans in the world!"

Beasley, 27, appeared in just nine league games for Rangers in the 2009/10 SPL season, scoring two goals and adding four assists, all of which came during the month of December. Earlier this week, he told reporters that he would be willing to take a pay cut to stay at Rangers, but it doesn't appear that the team plans on bringing **Fort Wayne, Indiana, native back, even at a discount.

"I would consider [a pay cut], so I wouldn't count that out," Beasley told Yanks Abroad on Thursday. "I have a perfect situation here from a life standpoint and i love playing for a great club like Rangers. I have a lot of good memories of playing here. Scoring in the [2008 Scottish Cup] final after being out five to six months with an injury was a highlight. Also, winning two championships was great, but those feel a little different because I didn't contribute as much, so that makes a difference for sure."

Despite his limited playing time, Beasley remains in the picture for a spot on the American roster for the 2010 World Cup and is likely to make the 30-man preliminary list of players invited to the USMNT's pre-tournament training camp that will be announced next week. A veteran international, Beasley has made 90 appearances for the United States since his debuting for the senior team in 2001, scoring 17 goals along the way. He was a key member of the squads that participated in the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups, and has also appeared in three CONCACAF Gold Cups and two FIFA Confederations Cups in his career.

"It would mean a lot to make my third World Cup team," Beasley confessed. "I'm always honored any time I can play with the national team. I got my 90th cap playing against Holland and that was special. I love playing at the highest level.

"There are about 15 or 16 players who are definitely going, so I'm hoping to grab one of those last spots. I've never been in this position before, but I'm optimistic. I know I can help the team and not only do I want to push for a spot on the roster but I also want to push other guys and be a starter."

Beasley has often been mentioned in connection with a return to Major League Soccer as his playing time has taken a nosedive with Rangers. He originally signed with the league back in 1999 at the tender age of 16, scoring 14 goals to go with 20 assists over four seasons with the Chicago Fire. He was also named to the league's Best XI following the '03 season, but was transferred to Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven the following summer, netting the league a $2.5 million transfer fee. He joined Rangers in 2007, after playing two seasons with PSV and another spent on-loan in the English Premier League with Manchester City.

Rangers fans, are you disappointed to see Beasley's time with the club come to an unceremonious end? MLS supporters, would you want to see your team attempt to sign Beasley during the upcoming summer transfer window? If so, do you think he is worthy of a 'Designated Player' salary?

Injury prone and too lightweight. Seemed to do better in european competitions more than the SPL.

I hope you have better luck with your cars wherever you end up.

Scored a few useful goals but dreadfully inconsistent and didn't have the temperament overall for the rigours of the SPL.

Conducted himself pretty well though so leaves with most fans' blessing I'd think.

I imagine next season he will be talked about in the same vein as Buffel, with Smith blamed for Beasley not doing enough while here.

We both know Smith isn't a fan of supposed lightweight creative players - he prefers more robust and hardy fellows.

So it was disappointing but no shock when Buffel got no chance in the early days. What WAS surprising was Smith signing, of his own volition, another lightweight style attacker in Beasley.

We both know Smith isn't a fan of supposed lightweight creative players - he prefers more robust and hardy fellows.

Smith is a fan of picking a team that wins a game. If a player has a vital attribute in his game missing then he wont get picked. Doesn't mean Smith doesn't not like lightweight creative players (though I have no problem with him not liking lightweight players) just that he doesn't think that kind of player will help him win a match in the SPL.

Smith is a fan of picking a team that wins a game. If a player has a vital attribute in his game missing then he wont get picked. Doesn't mean Smith doesn't not like lightweight creative players (though I have no problem with him not liking lightweight players) just that he doesn't think that kind of player will help him win a match in the SPL.

You're being a little bit semantic. I was not saying he dislikes Lionel Messi or Aaron Lennon, I was clearly implying he't not a fan of that kind of player for this Rangers team!

You're being a little bit semantic. I was not saying he dislikes Lionel Messi or Aaron Lennon, I was clearly implying he't not a fan of that kind of player for this Rangers team!

Fair do's. Wasn't sure so was just making it clear.