This is HUGE! Fantastic news. Now we just need to get Boyd, Weir, Wilson & some others signed up.

A lot of fans won't be happy about the news that he'll stand aside for Coisty to take over next summer, but that's another story.

Guest Flying Hippo

Glad he's staying but I'm not keen on managers announcing their departure date whilst still in the job. Also, what if this season is a disaster? Would we really want McCoist and McDowell staying on?

I also don't believe this news will have any baring on the futures of Boyd and Wilson. Weir perhaps but the other two are goners

Edited by Flying Hippo

It's bound to have some sort of an influence on Boyd because the guy has said numerous times that that would be something which could influence his decision.

great news and we needed some. we all sort of knew this is what Ally was brought here for and at least Walter is telling the fans some truth. if we resign some players and sign some new ones then I am in no doubt we will do well again and would be happy enough for super ally take over. I also think it will have a bearing on the likes of boyd and weir resigning and others who are out of contract next year, not so much wilson but we'll hopefully soon find out........

Guest Northampton_loyalist
Glad he's staying but I'm not keen on managers announcing their departure date whilst still in the job. Also, what if this season is a disaster? Would we really want McCoist and McDowell staying on?

I also don't believe this news will have any baring on the futures of Boyd and Wilson. Weir perhaps but the other two are goners

managers stating they are leaving can certainly cause a distraction. In this case though, it can only provide a boost. We no longer have the uncertainty of a manager without contract and we no longer have a plan that goes no further than last week. It can only be a positive, not withstanding the departure date being given.

Guest Flying Hippo
managers stating they are leaving can certainly cause a distraction. In this case though, it can only provide a boost. We no longer have the uncertainty of a manager without contract and we no longer have a plan that goes no further than last week. It can only be a positive, not withstanding the departure date being given.

Yeah i guess knowing he's leaving next summer is better than not having a clue if he's even staying this summer. The idea of not even interviewing anyone for the post and just handing it to Ally on a plate isn't particularly appealling though. As i said, if we win nothing this season, i doubt many will want McCoist in charge

Walter Smith has signed a one-year contract at Rangers, which will be his last as a football manager.

More...

Walter Smith has signed a one-year contract at Rangers, which will be his last as a football manager.

The reigning SPL champions have confirmed that deals have been struck with Smith and all of his backroom staff.

The news comes as a welcome relief to all those connected with the Old Firm giants, who were keen to see the current team kept on.

Smith has also made it clear that the 2010/11 campaign will be his last in football, with the 62-year-old then set to head into retirement.

Rangers have already revealed that Ibrox legend, and current assistant boss, Ally McCoist will then take the reins.

Edited by Bluedell