State of the squad.

Right now I can't deny our squad is thin, and definitely needs some additions this summer. Whether it gets any is another question, but looking at the players we definitely have right now, the first team doesn't seem quite so bad as what I'd originally feared.

If you tweak the formation to a 4-3-3 we're still left with a pretty robust midfield and attack. The defence is definitely a question area, but let's see what we definitely have:

:am:

:sw::aw::dw::sp:

:sd::me::kt:

:sn::km::kl:

I mean it's not all that bad is it?

Davis gets to play central midfield, with Edu in the holding role. Lafferty plays as a left prong in attack, while Naismith showed his value in the Cup final. And a resurgent Webster is a decent option at the back.

And we still have Broadfoot, Alexander, McCulloch, Velicka, Fleck in reserve.

I'm not saying it's a world beating squad but it's not that bad. And with the possibility of new signings, if that happens, we look better than maybe we feared we would.

Yeah, I think that is likely to be our formation next year - if slightly erring more to a 4-5-1 than 4-3-3...

It is more than capable of winning the SPL as it stands but we'd definitely need a few more players to strengthen the squad - especially if Wilson, Bougherra and Broadfoot leave. If that does happen that should allow Smith to buy replacements.

Up front, there are still goes available but a poacher would be useful to have as I'm not sure Velicka would fill that role.

We need to sell before we can buy regarding strikers.

Miller, Lafferty, Naismith, Velicka should all be played as central strikers (or in a 3 as you state above)

If we want to purchase another striker then one of them must go. Especially when you consider Little & Fleck as striking options as well.

Should it not be Davie Weir's picture who is in black and white? :)

Is it confirmed McCulloch is leaving as he hasnt been mentioned?

I still think we will get a signing or 2 especially with Boyd, Novo and Beasley's wages being freed up and possible fees for Wilson and Bougherra. But who knows what level of player that will be!

Edited by Gribz

I'd be so much happier if Lafferty was on the bench and we signed someone naturally suited to playing wide left. I'm hoping he proves me wrong in pre-season, but the prospect of him being a first XI player for me is quite scary.

Should it not be Davie Weir's picture who is in black and white? :)

Is it confirmed McCulloch is leaving as he hasnt been mentioned?

I mentioned him on the bench.

Guest Flying Hippo

You can't include Weir and Broadfoot when neither of them are signed up for next season yet

We currently have 17 senior players signed up for next season:

McGregor

Alexander

Whittaker

Little

Papac

Bougherra

Webster

Wilson

Davis

McCulloch

Thomson

Edu

Naismith

Fleck

Miller

Lafferty

Velicka

2 of whom, Little and Velicka, are miles away from the required standard

Another 2 of whom are pretty unlikely to still be here come August, Wilson and Bougherra

It's not 1980, you can't compete with a squad of 14. If we don't sign 5 or 6 players, we won't win anything

Guest Flying Hippo
We need to sell before we can buy regarding strikers.

Miller, Lafferty, Naismith, Velicka should all be played as central strikers (or in a 3 as you state above)

If we want to purchase another striker then one of them must go. Especially when you consider Little & Fleck as striking options as well.

I'd honestly rather bring Ally out of retirement than play Little up front again. The boy may make a career for himself at right back but he's never a striker in a million years