Andy Gray is still lauded whenever he returns to Molineux.

The former Scotland striker bagged the Wembley winner for Wolves in the 1980 League Cup Final.

He'll forever be revered alongside legends like Derek Dougan and all-time top scorer Steve Bull.

But Gray believes reborn Wolves have landed a new strike star for a new era.

Steven Fletcher sealed his record-breaking �£7million switch last night just a year after leaving Hibs in a �£3m switch to Burnley.

Sky Sports pundit Gray says he deserves to stay among England's elite following the Clarets' relegation.

Gray said: "Owen Coyle signed him last summer and Steven vindicated the decision very quickly.

"Some people said it was a risk but I didn't think it was too much of a gamble.

"In today's transfer market, �£3m isn't a big fee - even for a newly-promoted side like Burnley.

"It was the biggest signing in their history but Steven proved he was worth it.

"When you go from Scotland to England, you want to make a big impact.

"My memories of my own move - a long time ago - are of being determined to show people I could play. You want to prove to everyone that you can do south of the border what you did north of the border.

"Steven's performances for Burnley last season have upped the ante now.

"The transfer fee has also put him on the radar far more than he was, but I'm sure the move will be something he relishes."

Just 12 months ago, Fletcher was a �£3,000-a- week SPL striker with Hibs.

His career was transformed after Coyle forked out �£3m to take him south.

The 23-year-old bagged 13 goals last term.

It wasn't enough to save the Clarets from an instant return to the Championship.

But the Scotland striker's sparkling form was sufficient to ensure he'll stay in the top flight with Mick McCarthy fighting off the likes of West Ham, Stoke and Birmingham for his coveted signature.

The fee makes Fletch the second most expensive Scottish striker of all-time behind Duncan Ferguson.

It eclipses Wolves' club record signing of Republic of Ireland international striker Kevin Doyle.

And according to former Rangers ace Gray, it ensures he'll be a marked man when he pulls on the famous Old Gold strip next season.

He said: "The fact Steven scored goals in the Premier League and won this move will make people sit up and take notice. It'll also make defenders sit up and pay closer attention to him next season.

"He'll be under more pressure to produce the goods now Wolves have bought him for so much money.

"But I don't think Steven will see that as something to worry about.

"I'm sure he'll just view it as a new challenge which he'll enjoy.

"He has done alright since he came down to England.

"It's never easy coming from Scotland into the Premier League.

"And it's certainly not easy coming into a struggling side.

"But he has impressed people and his goals tally was good for a first season.

"In fact, given Burnley were in their first season in the top flight it's a very good tally indeed."

Hibs will land a �£1m bonanza with chairman Rod Petrie inserting a clause into the original sale which sees them bank 25 per cent of any fee in excess of the �£3m they received from Burnley.

Fletcher's development curve has been impressive since his big breakthrough at Easter Road.

He scored a double in the 5-1 League Cup Final win over Kilmarnock in 2007.

He made his Scotland debut against Croatia on his 21st birthday in 2008.

Advertisement

Quantcast

Last year he got his big move to Burnley and now Fletch, who has seven caps, has seen his earning power rocket to �£30,000-plus a week. Gray said: "Burnley have a fantastic history but, for me, Wolves is a bigger club.

"They have a purpose-built stadium which seats 35,000 - almost twice what Burnley get at Turf Moor.

"Wolves have been up and down in recent years and until this year they hadn't managed to stay in the top flight.

"But now they seem able to invest some cash in the squad in a bid to really consolidate in the Premier League.

"The owners are happy that Mick has kept them up and are giving him a few bob to invest.

"He's spent �£7m on a frontman and I don't think it'll prove to be bad business."

Gray had a four-year spell at Molineux after his �£1m switch from Aston Villa in 1979. He spent every season in the top tier of the English game and would love to see Fletcher help Wolves back into the top ten.

He said: "Unless you have the spending ability of Manchester City or Tottenham, it's very difficult to challenge for the top four.

"But if Wolves could consistently reach the top ten, it would be incredible progress and a huge success story."

But could Fletcher emulate Gray by bagging a cup final winner for Wolves?

Gray said: "I would never say it's unachievable for any Premier League team to win the League Cup.

"You need a little more luck to win the FA Cup but if Portsmouth can win it then get back to another final, there's always a possibility."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2999331/7m-Fletcher-can-be-Molineux-great.html#ixzz0ps6WlcHB

Hibs strike gold after Fletcher�s record move to Wolves

Steven Fletcher�s move from Burnley to Wolves has seen Hibs rake in a healthy bonus. The Scotland striker agreed a multi-million pound move to Molineux on Thursday that will see him playing in the English Premier League again next season.

The Edinburgh club had inserted a sell-on clause in the agreement they reached with Burnley when Fletcher moved south in 2009 and will now receive a cash injection that could boost John Hughes transfer budget.

Burnley paid Hibs �£3 million for Fletcher last summer as they strengthened their squad for the English top flight. The club was relegated but the Scottish forward impressed, scoring 13 goals for the Clarets.

Hibs are thought to be due 25 per cent of any profit Burnley made on the sale of the player and with Wolves having paid approximately �£7 million for the striker, the Easter Road club will be expecting around �£1 million.

Wolves have not confirmed the exact fee but said that Fletcher matched the club record fee paid for Kevin Doyle.

Molineux chief executive Jez Moxey said the club were delighted to have captured the 23-year-old�s signature.

"We are delighted to complete the signing of Steven Fletcher," Moxey said.

"He was one of Mick's main targets for the summer and - just like last season with Kevin Doyle - we were able to register our interest early and get the deal done.

"He is a Scottish international who has been heavily scouted by our management and scouting team and is an excellent player whom, despite his relatively young age, already boasts plenty of experience at the top level in both England and Scotland.�

Fletcher said he was keen to hit the ground running at his new club and said he was thrilled to be playing in the Premier League again next season.

"I'm delighted to have completed the move and already looking forward to getting back for pre-season and meeting the other lads," said Fletcher.

"There's been a bit of speculation about myself for quite a while now but I'm pleased it's all done and dusted and I can get off and relax now.

"I always wanted to play in the Premier League when I was up the road in Scotland.

"It's great that I've got another chance to do that next season.�