Rangers youngster Ross Perry is aiming to follow in the footsteps of Danny Wilson and become a firstteam star at Ibrox.

The defender graduated through the Murray Park ranks with Wilson and watched as the then 17-year-old eased his way into the heart of the Gers backline, playing an integral part in their league and cup double.

While Wilson has since earned himself a move to English giants Liverpool in a deal that could be worth �£5million to the champions, Perry is gearing up for the start of the new season under Walter Smith.

His former team-mate�s achievements can only serve as inspiration to the rest of the youngsters who are likely to feature more in the coming season due to Rangers� small squad.

ââ?¬Å?Danny was lucky enough to get his chance last year and he took it and is reaping the benefits of it now,ââ?¬Â Perry said.

ââ?¬Å?Hopefully a couple of the boys can do the same this year.

ââ?¬Å?I grew up playing with Danny and saw him developing as a player. He got his opportunity, he took it and now he is away at Liverpool.

ââ?¬Å?I am delighted for him. It was the chance of a lifetime, it was a great opportunity and one that would have been hard to turn down.

ââ?¬Å?Through injuries he got his chance, even though some people might have been a bit wary about a young boy going into the first team, but he cruised every single game and gained a lot from it.

ââ?¬Å?He is the example to follow.ââ?¬Â

With Davie Weir, Andy Webster and Madjid Bougherra at his disposal, Smith has plenty of options in the central defensive areas but bad luck on the injury front could derail their title bid.

The first-team squad will be supplemented by youngsters and Perry hopes to force his way into the reckoning.

ââ?¬Å?This is a big season for me,ââ?¬Â he said. ââ?¬Å?The way things are going with the size of the squad, we might have to rely on youth.

ââ?¬Å?You have to be patient at Rangers, it is a massive club and you have to wait for your opportunity. It is something you grow up dreaming about.

ââ?¬Å?I was away with the team in Australia and managed to get some game time in over there.

ââ?¬Å?There are going to be a few of us in that position due to the size of the squad so it is up to us if we get the opportunity to grab it with both hands and go for it.ââ?¬Â

Perry spent the first half of last season on loan at then English Conference side Oxford United.

He made 11 appearances for the U�s and impressed but the 21-year-old admits he now wants to put his experience to good use at Ibrox.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I didnââ?¬â?¢t play as much as I hoped to but it was still a valuable experience to be involved week in, week out in a first-team setup.

ââ?¬Å?Oxford were in for me to go back on loan but due to the uncertainty at Rangers none of us were allowed to leave.

ââ?¬Å?I am a Rangers player, I want to be at Rangers and I want to try and prove myself so I wanted to stay and be in the frame and give it a go.ââ?¬Â

Wilson, meanwhile, has admitted that the lure of Liverpool was too big an opportunity to turn down.

ââ?¬Å?I would have been happy to stay at Rangers had Liverpool not made an offer,ââ?¬Â he said.

ââ?¬Å?But once I knew they were interested, the thoughts going through my head were that it was a chance I wanted to take.

ââ?¬Å?It was an offer I felt I couldnââ?¬â?¢t turn down. Rangers are a massive club but so are Liverpool. Theyââ?¬â?¢re a top-four Premiership club and the offer to go there doesnââ?¬â?¢t come up every day.

ââ?¬Å?I didnââ?¬â?¢t want to think in a few yearsââ?¬â?¢ time, ââ?¬Ë?I could have gone thereââ?¬â?¢. I wanted to challenge myself and not worry that it might not happen for me.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/i-watched-mate-danny-wilson-leap-into-first-team-now-it-s-my-turn-1.1047323

Guest Flying Hippo

He made his debut in a friendly in the USA 3 years ago now and hasn't played for the club since. I doubt very much it will happen for him here

He made his debut in a friendly in the USA 3 years ago now and hasn't played for the club since. I doubt very much it will happen for him here

He has as much chance as any of the young players to break through,it's up to him/them