Rangers supporters get all-clear from UEFA

RANGERS will be handed a seal of approval for the conduct of their supporters at last night's UEFA Cup first-round, first-leg tie against Molde in Norway.

The match at the Aker Stadium was the first in Europe for the Ibrox club since they were fined �£13,000 by UEFA last season for sectarian and discriminatory chanting by their fans during the Champions League last-16 tie against Villarreal last season.

Rangers have since launched their highest profile anti-sectarian campaign yet and their efforts appear to have been rewarded. While there were isolated occurrences of songs with sectarian references from a section of their 900-strong travelling support last night, they are unlikely to provoke any fresh action from UEFA.

Lucien Kayser, the UEFA delegate at the match, said last night: "My report will be nothing special and won't contain anything negative. Rangers have nothing to worry about."

The Luxembourg official, a former international referee and member of UEFA's Fair Play and Ethics committee, will have provided some comfort to Rangers with his comments.

The club issued a statement minutes after the final whistle last night, reaffirming their desire to completely eradicate sectarian behaviour and head off the threat of ground closure or expulsion from European competition by UEFA.

"Rangers and the overwhelming majority of its supporters are doing everything in their power to combat the sectarian behaviour of a small minority of fans," said a spokesman.

"There was intense activity and information provided in the build-up to this game in line with our anti-sectarian policy and fans travelling to FROM BACK PAGE

the match were left in no doubt as to the club's expectations.

"There has been significant progress made at Ibrox and at domestic away games and the club is absolutely determined to continue tackling any sectarian behaviour as vigorously as possible."

Of greater concern to Rangers was the outcome on the pitch last night, a poor performance in a 0-0 draw leaving the outcome of the tie still in some doubt ahead of the second leg at Ibrox on 28 September.

Paul Le Guen, the Rangers manager, admitted his team did not reach acceptable standards last night. "I am not totally satisfied with either the game or the result," said Le Guen. "We had chances to score, but we also conceded chances too. I hope this is not a bad result for us.

"We are favourites to go through, but I am not interested in that. It is what happens on the pitch that counts. We were right not to be overconfident because Molde are clearly a good team. They have a good balance."

Le Guen defended his decision to make three changes to his side last night which seemed to have an adverse effect.

"Three changes is not too much," he said. "I'm confident in the whole squad, I rely on every player."

Allan McGregor proved Le Guen is able to rely on him, the goalkeeper outstanding on his European debut and responsible for Rangers avoiding defeat. "I did alright," said McGregor, "but I would rather the team had scored and taken something more from the game. That's possibly my best performance for Rangers and all I can do is be consistent and do well when the manager picks me."

Arild Stavrum, the Molde coach, was furious at Polish referee Jacek Granat's failure to award his team a penalty kick when Julien Rodriguez clashed with striker Madiou Konate in the box. "It was a clear penalty kick," said Stavrum, the former Aberdeen striker now convinced his team can cause an upset and win the tie.

"Rangers have been favourites since the draw was made," he added, "but we were just as good as them tonight. We can score goals at Ibrox and we have the possibility to go through now."

I know there was a lot mentioned about the actions of a 'few' supporters at the game and a lot of mixed feelings on the board so thought the earlier something came out about it the better.....

Good man Jon...

I think there were a few small problems last night at the game but this was minimal so I'm sure UEFA appreciate that as well as how much we've managed to reduce and pretty much eradicate the offensive stuff.

Good man Jon...

I think there were a few small problems last night at the game but this was minimal so I'm sure UEFA appreciate that as well as how much we've managed to reduce and pretty much eradicate the offensive stuff.

I think there will always be small incidents at football games everywhere. If FIFA are going to react to all of them, then they will be playing judge and jury more than running football.

It is great to hear that the fans behaved well and the work Rangers and it's supporters are doing seems to be paying off.