The rise and rise of Kenny Miller ââ?¬â?? Kyle Laffertyââ?¬â?¢s blueprint for success?

On the back of another Kenny Miller double, this time contributing to the demise of Aberdeen at Pittodrie and firing Rangers back to the top of the league, the Scotland forward himself admits he is in the form of his career. Miller has already struck times in the SPL this season with just 6 games played, 11 in 7 if you count the first against Liechtenstein for Scotland.

I will not try to re-write history. Miller returned to Ibrox to a hostile reception from the fans, none more so than myself. Even as rumours emerged that Walter might be interested in signing the striker who had served him so well as manager of the national team fans made their thoughts well known at games. Smith, though, is as strong a character as you will find in the Scottish game, (ask Killie chairman Michael Johnstone) and would not be dissuaded. The manager had an image for his Rangers team and would be his own man, making the signings he deemed necessary.

Miller has had much to fight against, having scored for Celtic against Rangers prior to being re-singed from Derby and having a less than impressive scoring record for his previous employers north and south of the border. Whilst his work rate has never been in question, his allegiances, his touch and his composure were all very questionable.

Miller�s effervescent style along with doubles against Celtic quickly saw many fans change their view on Miller more than repaying the manager�s faith in him. Again, though, I would be being economical with the truth if I were to say that he had completely won over all the fans. As has often been the case with Miller a rich vein of form and goals would be followed by an equal if not longer fallow period. He could not always be relied on to produce the goals.

This season, however, Miller has produced goal-scoring form that even Kris Boyd would have trouble keeping up with whilst still contributing to all round team play and providing opportunities for his team mates.

How then does this apply to Ulster hitman? Lafferty did not arrive with as much scepticism, nay outright hostility. Despite a modest goal-scoring record with former club Burnley, impressive outings for Northern Ireland saw Lafferty�s arrival greeted with much optimism. More so from fans across the Irish Sea. Lafferty did not have to contend with the baggage of being an unwelcome signing, a supposed traitor among the ranks.

However, the first few years of Lafferty�s Rangers career have not been plain sailing. You would imagine that a player who has scored the goal that ultimately sealed the title on the last two occasions would be universally revered by his club�s supporters. But in truth that is not even close to half of the Kyle Lafferty story.

Despite occasional flashes of quality from Lafferty he has all too often flattered to deceive. Combine this with moments of gross stupidity, on and off the field, and the rangy forward has all but eroded much of the cautious optimism that greeted his signing. Many of his more fervent supporters would argue that his cause has not been helped by a vindictive media campaign, but we should not allow a Ranger to shirk all responsibility of his behaviour and performances on the field.

So, whilst Lafferty�s signing cannot be compared to the loud disapproval with which Miller�s signing met, the gaffer�s continued persistence to fit a toiling forward into his team has engendered much animosity toward the player. This is further exacerbated by a (by Rangers standards) hefty transfer fee. Particularly since the club, until this present season, have had no room for manoeuvre in the transfer window.

Lafferty needs look no further than across the dressing room for the inspiration to overcome such adversity. Whilst the source of the hostility towards either player is markedly different, the road to redemption is exactly the same. Committed performances characterised by the skill and ability that Lafferty has so far exhibited all too infrequently and the kind of goal-scoring form required of a first choice Rangers forward can see Lafferty sharing the limelight with his more celebrated team mate rather than merely seeking to emulate a player currently of immeasurable value to Rangers trophy-winning aspirations.

You either have it or you don't. Miller has it (when he's on form), Lafferty doesn't. Lafferty's goal record at Burnley was pish and it's no better here. In his defence, he is not helped by frequently being played wide left despite the fact he clearly is no good there. Then again, he's played there much of his career yet still shows no talent there and most modern versataile forwards should be capable of playing wide from time to time and at least looking competent. When Lafferty picks up the ball I just wait for him to lose it. Smith spent big on him and got it woefully wrong. Never mind though, Smith struck gold with the similar fee paid for lanky forward number 2, Jelavic. If Lafferty is to ever become a competent forward then he might be better to watch the awesome Croat, who looks very much the Dado Prso mould of the ideal modern big striker that can hold up and link play, dribble, create and score from anywhere.

Footballers previous track records are crucial - Prso and Jelavic were big name strikers excelling in Europe. Our Kyle on the other hand had a dreadful goalrecord in the championship being played more often than not as a makeshift left sided attacker for Burnley. Most Burnley fans say he wasn't even one of their better players.

Oh and regarding Lafferty's international record - a few goals for Northern Ireland doesn't justify his price tag. He has for the record simply scored 7.

Is Beattie fit? Smith does sometimes experiment in Europe and Miller and Beattie could be a good front pairing, both having experience of the highest level. That or a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with Miller supported by Naismith and Weiss. Only thing there is past experience suggests any formation with a lone striker will very much result in a lone striker and being a must win game that isn't an option.

If Beattie's fit, I think he'd be crucial given his experience of playing against some top defences often on his own.

Not sure about Beattie's fitness but I can't see him playing. His mobility simply isn't good enough to lead the line, although his touch is usually better than what Miller's or Lafferty's would be.

I doubt we'll see a 4-4-2 so anything other than Miller up front on his own with Naismith and Lafferty wide would surprise me. Obviously if Davis doesn't make it that will mean Weiss will come into the team.

Weiss in my eyes has to play against Bursaspor otherwise it would be silly, we need some flair in the team to open up their defence. Grit and determination can only get you so far and we need something different.

Don't disagree with that but I think Walter may prefer Lafferty as he'll do the defensive/physical stuff that Weiss probably won't.

With a 5 man midfield that shouldn't matter when Edu and McCulloch are both certainties but if we don't know Walter Smith by now, we never will.

Weiss is a must. First flair player we've had i yonks and good delivery too. At home in a must win game we should be playing the best attacking options on the flanks considering we'll likely have 3 central midfielders anyway.

Play Lafferty on the left and he'll be anonymous. Play Weiss and we'll likely create various chances.

You either have it or you don't. Miller has it (when he's on form), Lafferty doesn't. Lafferty's goal record at Burnley was pish and it's no better here. In his defence, he is not helped by frequently being played wide left despite the fact he clearly is no good there. Then again, he's played there much of his career yet still shows no talent there and most modern versataile forwards should be capable of playing wide from time to time and at least looking competent. When Lafferty picks up the ball I just wait for him to lose it. Smith spent big on him and got it woefully wrong. Never mind though, Smith struck gold with the similar fee paid for lanky forward number 2, Jelavic. If Lafferty is to ever become a competent forward then he might be better to watch the awesome Croat, who looks very much the Dado Prso mould of the ideal modern big striker that can hold up and link play, dribble, create and score from anywhere.

Footballers previous track records are crucial - Prso and Jelavic were big name strikers excelling in Europe. Our Kyle on the other hand had a dreadful goalrecord in the championship being played more often than not as a makeshift left sided attacker for Burnley. Most Burnley fans say he wasn't even one of their better players.

Oh and regarding Lafferty's international record - a few goals for Northern Ireland doesn't justify his price tag. He has for the record simply scored 7.

He's only played 25 though, how many were starts. 1 in 3/4 games for a rather poor international team who wont create many chances or dominate many games.

I could hardly be accused of being Kyle's biggest supporter but think the parallel's are clearr between Miller proving his doubters wrong and Lafferty doing the same. Miller's career, a purple spell for Scotland aside, was mostly poor to average until his second stint at Ibrox.

3 or 4 years ago you could have quite reasonably argued Miller does not have it.

Whilst I too am yet to be convinced by the Ulsterman the opportunity is there for him and he needs no better example than his current team mate.

As you have pointed out, it is not merely Miller he could learn from. He would be foolish not to take what lessons he can from other team mates who are performing well in his position.