Don�t make me angry, you won�t like me when I�m angry!

Super_Ally looks at our recovery powers this year and asks if this a trait we can rely on against better quality opposition...

Don�t make me angry, you won�t like me when I�m angry!

Much like Bruce Banner, it does not pay to aggravate this Rangers team. In our last three SPL fixtures we have gone two down at Pittodrie, a goal down at Tynecastle and again on Saturday a goal down at home to Motherwell. Come the full time whistle at the end of each match the Rangers have once again emerged victorious. Aberdeen, Hearts and (this season) Motherwell are traditionally the stronger teams in the SPL yet even if we suffer a setback you still expect this Rangers team to turn it around and secure the three points.

Earlier in the year we also came from a goal down against St Johnstone to win 2-1 and after being pegged back by Hamilton managed to dig out a late winner courtesy of Kenny Miller. The never say die attitude of the players is an admirable trait though it would be nice to win a game without having to prove our strength of character in battling back from adversity.

The most impressive result of the lot is undoubtedly over turning a 2-goal deficit up at Pittodrie to win 3-2 thanks to a Miller double and Jelavic winner. Games against Aberdeen have long been a tricky affair with their management and players admitting earlier this season that they lift themselves for games against Scotland�s most successful side. The opposition being motivated should not be an excuse for such a poor away record up there, with this season�s victory being Smith�s first since returning to Ibrox. If your opposition only have commitment and determination to trouble us with then by matching their approach to the game we should run out victorious more often than not through our superior skill and play. It is either a bizarre fluke of sporting competition that we have so often failed to translate this footballing superiority into victory or evidence of our inability to match their dedication and application to the game. Based on last month�s game the latter could not be levelled at the current squad.

The defeat of Hearts may have been even sweeter, due largely to the fact that Kyle Lafferty�s winning goal was struck late in injury time. Recently, Hearts have so often been the third force in Scottish football and overturning a deficit against them could perhaps be argued as a greater achievement than overcoming Aberdeen after giving them a two goal start.

However, our next two fixtures are against Valencia in the Champions League and Celtic at Parkhead. I doubt whether any fan would be as confident of us winning either fixture of having to chase the game. Celtic have almost equalled our start to the season, with 8 wins from 8 sitting behind us in the league due only to goal difference. Both sides have shown they have mental strength and character to win games when points might be dropped. There is hardly a better feeling in football than getting it right up opposition fans who have been rubbing your nose in taking the lead after you come from behind to secure victory. There will be many a fan looking for a more straightforward result next weekend for fear of their heart not being able to take the strain.

Valencia will be an altogether different prospect. Unlike Motherwell, they will not fall apart should we peg them back or take a narrow lead. And despite laughable reporters suggestions to the contrary when we played them back in 1999, they are not the Aberdeen of Spain. A narrow defeat at the Nou Camp this weekend, their only league defeat of the current campaign, allowed Barca to draw level with them in the league and saw Real Madrid overtake them at the top of La Liga. They are a quality side and we will do well to earn a result against them without giving them a goal start.

In this opening period of the new season we have more than established our credentials as potential league champions. Coming into the new season as the reigning kings of Scotland we have won 8 consecutive league matches. In fact, the only game we have not won was a highly credible draw at Old Trafford having us sit joint top of our Champions League group. After this midweek�s epic clash with Valencia we travel to Parkhead having won home and away, when we�ve played well and when we have not, picking up victory after victory when many would have expected us to drop points.

Much like Marvel�s Incredible Hulk, it appears Rangers have had to be stimulated, aggravated, pushed into demonstrating our full and frightening force against our opponents rather than showing our desire, our commitment and passion from the kick off. Play the next two games from the first minute to the last, do not gift the opposition any advantage and we will see the team cement what has been an incredible start to the season.

I think there's a fine line between being confident amidst any situation to recover in games and negligence.

Our inconsistent attitude to the first halves of games isn't anything new and motivation does seem to be a struggle for many players all too often. Like S_A says, we can ill afford to keep our charity going - least of all against CL teams and/or Celtic.

Having the ability to come from behind is an admirable virtue but it should not be a crutch and we need to improve our defensive work.

I think there's a fine line between being confident amidst any situation to recover in games and negligence.

Our inconsistent attitude to the first halves of games isn't anything new and motivation does seem to be a struggle for many players all too often. Like S_A says, we can ill afford to keep our charity going - least of all against CL teams and/or Celtic.

Having the ability to come from behind is an admirable virtue but it should not be a crutch and we need to improve our defensive work.

Thanks for posting this.

There can be no excuses about motivation tonight so here's hoping it's not another come from behind display tonight.

Thanks for posting this.

There can be no excuses about motivation tonight so here's hoping it's not another come from behind display tonight.

It won't matter if we come from behind or not as long as we get a result:)

It won't matter if we come from behind or not as long as we get a result:)

True, I guess what I really meant was that whilst I did not worry going behind to Hearts and Aberdeen I would be far more concerned about our powers of recovery against a far superior outfit.

A win is a win though and the against the odds, overturning a deficit victories give the most enjoyment at full time. :D

True, I guess what I really meant was that whilst I did not worry going behind to Hearts and Aberdeen I would be far more concerned about our powers of recovery against a far superior outfit.

A win is a win though and the against the odds, overturning a deficit victories give the most enjoyment at full time. :D

Aye,I was just being a smart ass mate:)

I said in this piece that we wouldn't feel as confident coming from behind against Celtic or a European team, but you know what at half time today I wasn't as concerned, even in spite of the fact that it had been so long since an Old Firm was won from behind. :rfc:

Just as well the Tims arent a "far better outfit". They arent even the best team we have faced in the SPL, let alone all season !!