The top leagues in football

Without a doubt in my mind, La Liga is the strongest league in the world and has been for some time. It is the most entertaining, has the best players, is very competitive and every side tries to play attacking and good football. I now think Serie A is getting back to what it was like before the corruption scandal damaged it. There is not a single poor side in the top half and there's pretty decent ones across the board. It's also a much less defensive minded league now. It is still tactical and organised but it can be very entertaining too. Inter did Italy wonders by bringing the champions league back and restoring Serie A as a force. Which brings me to the premiership. Up until recently, it boasted a very powerful top 4, all challenging for the top 4 with bursting cheque books.

Now though only Chelsea remain the elite team in the league, with a very balance starting XI which can stand up to just about anyone. Arsenal are looking improved this season but it remains to be seen if they can really become a force again. Man Utd are a side in decline, badly needing investment and often looking questionable in defence and midfield. Nothing need be said about Liverpool. Man City look a top 4 side now but are far from the finished article as their defeat to Wolves showed. Spurs are in interesting times but are miles off title challenging. Outwith that, you have a pretty mediocre league IMO. Everton make up the best of the rest. Blackpool, West Brom, Newcastle, Sunderland etc have been 4 of the better teams in England this season and are nothing special. The general standard in mid table clashes doesn't make great viewing. Something like 3 players from the premiership were shortlisted for the Balloon D'or, including a strange inclusion of Sunderland's Gyan (political correctness?) which tells its own story.

Which brings me to my point about the EPL, previously it did have 4 top teams and then a lot of averageness. Now though it just looks a pretty damn average league. The rise of German football is interesting too - it's a very entertaining and solid league which has attracted some of the worlds best in recent years. I think the order for the top leagues in the world would now be:

1. Spain

2. Italy

3. England

4. Germany

Edited by Totti

Spain

England

Germany

Italy

The Italian league is nowhere near the league it used to be. AC Milan, Lazio, Parma, Roma and Parma were once capable of challenging for the title. Now, it's Inter, Inter and Inter.

Gab Marcotti wrote a really interesting piece on Bayern Munich and German football in, I think, yesterday's Guardian.

Their commercial sponsorship is more than Man U and Liverpools combined I think.

They can get away with cheap tickets because they have many flush fans paying up to �£8000 a year for season tickets that include a free-lunch etc. Prices are perhaps low because generally speaking German tv rights are poor which Marcotti suggests is because Germans aren't prepared to pay for footy on tv, they don't want to drive them from games too.

Sorry, way off topic though.

Spain

England

Germany

Italy

The Italian league is nowhere near the league it used to be. AC Milan, Lazio, Parma, Roma and Parma were once capable of challenging for the title. Now, it's Inter, Inter and Inter.

Which Parma ? Parma1 or Parma 2 ? :devil:

Spain

England

Germany

Italy

Werder Bremen 0 - FC Twente 2

One result doesnt determine the strength of the league though Pete..... :thup:

The German league, in general, is stronger than the Dutch league IMO.

I think Pete's point was the German league being above Italy in Gazza8's list? Which is of course absurd. I won't even bother comparing the top Italian teams to German :whistle:.