Dougie McDonald quits....

Right, they've got their way finally! Hope they're all happy as paddy and we can now get on with playing some football. Also hope they get more decisions going their way than us & STILL can't win the fcking SPL title back from us!

Edited by Zappa

The controversial whistler who sparked Scottish football's referee crisis has quit as a top official.

Dougie McDonald said he was retiring as a category one referee with immediate effect.

In a statement, he took a swipe at both the SFA and the Scottish media and backed his colleagues' strike action.

McDonald has been under pressure to quit since admitting he had misled Celtic boss Neil Lennon over his decision to rescind a penalty he initially awarded to the Hoops last month.

The 45-year-old was handed an official warning by the referee's committee after an investigation into the incident by SFA chief executive Stewart Regan.

And it was that controversy that sparked the escalation of events which led to this weekend's referees' strike.

McDonald said: "It is with regret that I have decided, with immediate effect, to retire from my role as a category one referee.

"My category one colleagues decided rightly to withdraw their services from matches this weekend in response to the outrageous way they have been treated by sections within Scottish football and, in my opinion, the lack of support they have received from the SFA General Purposes Committee in recent years.

"However, their united stand, and the position of strength they have established this weekend, has been clouded by one issue, namely the aftermath of the Dundee United v Celtic match on 17 October.

"I apologised for my role in that and wanted my previously unblemished 29-year career to move on.

"Now is the time for all of Scottish football to move on.

"My decision will therefore remove that issue from the debate and ensure that the next day of action - which, in my opinion, will undoubtedly come if the football community does not have a massive change of heart - will result in media coverage being concentrated on those who engage in referee bashing and those who condone it."

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/212596-dougie-mcdonald-steps-down-as-top-referee/?

Guest 5StarBear

FFS Shorerdbear, whats that all about?? Dont give the tinks any more bloody fuel to stoke the fire with.

Anayway, thought McDonald was gonna stand up to these manky bar-stewards. Hope this is the end of it.

FFS Shorerdbear, whats that all about?? Dont give the tinks any more bloody fuel to stoke the fire with.

Anayway, thought McDonald was gonna stand up to these manky bar-stewards. Hope this is the end of it.

That type of image sends them over the edge. Only a joke bud...lol

Guest 5StarBear
That type of image sends them over the edge. Only a joke bud...lol

Don't get me wrong, haha, it is a cracker of a pic, but I'm just waiting for the next f'n VicTim story to hit the headlines.

Hope Murray and that amateur Bain have their house in order, ye know.