A good formation point someone made on RangersMedia

Basically the post said that we have to play 4-4-2 simply because Walter is too negative a manager to make 4-5-1/4-3-3 work. This hits the nail on the head and I now think I will stop hoping we play such a formation.

Whilst 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the current formation of choice and the future of world football, Walter can't play it and with a 4-4-2 he's forced to play in a more balanced manner.

I don't think that's true as he'd simply do what he did against Lisbon and push Whittaker into wide midfield.

Moreover, the players have already indicated they're as much to blame as anyone for sitting too deep.

The sitting too deep and negative mindset I think stems purely from the team trying to protect and compensate for Davie Weir. For games against Hamilton its not so bad, but its the big games played at a frenetic pace such as the OF that highlight it the most. ALso, if we play against a team with pacy strikers.

The sitting too deep and negative mindset I think stems purely from the team trying to protect and compensate for Davie Weir. For games against Hamilton its not so bad, but its the big games played at a frenetic pace such as the OF that highlight it the most. ALso, if we play against a team with pacy strikers.

It is partly that and players with minimal confidence in their own abilities to force matches....

It is partly that and players with minimal confidence in their own abilities to force matches....

Sure, confidence is a big factor. I think also its the mental pressure of knowing there are so few options to freshen up the team. I'll bet Walter is regretting the "quality over quantity" press conference from earlier in the season.

Sure, confidence is a big factor. I think also its the mental pressure of knowing there are so few options to freshen up the team. I'll bet Walter is regretting the "quality over quantity" press conference from earlier in the season.

Nah, I don't think a load of cheap, low quality players would have helped us at all.

With the money we've spent in the last couple of years, along with the sales and clearouts, I can't see how we could have significantly increased the quality or quantity.

I don't think that's true as he'd simply do what he did against Lisbon and push Whittaker into wide midfield.

Moreover, the players have already indicated they're as much to blame as anyone for sitting too deep.

I think this is more with regard to typical SPL matches where in a 4-4-2 we play more balanced against most teams.

There isn't a problem as such with Whittaker in wide midfield if there's a winger on the other flank, well of course other than the fact Whittaker is becoming increasingly poor.

With the money we've spent in the last couple of years, along with the sales and clearouts, I can't see how we could have significantly increased the quality or quantity.

Blind Bob with a handful of pennis could build a greater quality Rangers side than the garbage we have seen of late. Rangers look no better than a mid table SPL club at the moment, if that.

Basically the post said that we have to play 4-4-2 simply because Walter is too negative a manager to make 4-5-1/4-3-3 work. This hits the nail on the head and I now think I will stop hoping we play such a formation.

Whilst 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the current formation of choice and the future of world football, Walter can't play it and with a 4-4-2 he's forced to play in a more balanced manner.

I agree to an extent, 4-3-3 and the 4-5-1 calls for every player knowing their jobs here, they have to be comfortable playing in positions that they normally don't play week in and week out. Intelligent players can adapt but it takes only one or two players not covering or attacking when they should for these type of systems fall down. Not saying we don't have intelligent player just some players who are not thoroughly versed in their roll whilst playing these formations. In the SPL a good sound 4-4-2 should be norm for us, European football is a whole different ball game, best i shut up.

I wanted us to play a 4-4-2 formation yesterday. We've got Weiss, Healy, Diouf, Naismith & Fleck, any of whom could have started up front with Jelavic. My personal choice would have been Weiss, Naismith or Healy in the supporting striker role, but I think Fleck can link up well with Jelavic too.

My first choice central midfield pairing in a 4-4-2 would be Davis and Ness, but with Ness out and Edu supposedly fit again Walter will play Edu in the middle and while he does have the odd good game, I really don't see Edu as being good enough. I'd rather see young Kyle Hutton playing in the middle with Davis while Ness is out because I fail to see how he could be any worse than Mo.

If David Weir has to be replaced so that we can safely play the 4-4-2 against Celtic, then so be it. Replace Sir David.