Do Celtic have more fans than us?

We used to have the excuse that they had a bigger stadium than ours, as they spent less money on a bigger, lower quality stadium full of restricted views and breeze-block everywhere as well as a roof that doesn't cover all the seats.

But the recession has hit and both clubs are well down on average attendances, and with Celtic down 8k and us down 4k, they are actually taking a bigger hit, which means we're now closer in income from gate money.

However, their average is still 48.5k and ours is 44.5k, which means their total is still above ours but less than our capacity. If we have the same number of fans or more shouldn't we be able to match them now?

There is the argument that more of their fans have chosen not to come any more and so percentage-wise ours are more loyal, and if you start with a higher number then there will be a higher number who are in the habit of going. In a recession, it's harder to get new people to buy season tickets.

Or is there just more of them?

Some might argue that our product on the pitch isn't good enough - but does that mean they play better football or that they loyally support their club even when the football isn't great.

And besides, there are at least 70k more fans who pay similar money to watch lesser teams in the league who not only serve up less talented players who play worse football, who score less goals and win less games, but they also don't have much of a hope in hell of winning the title.

I'm not criticising anyone for not going to games - I'm in England and get to very few. Just wondering if they actually have more fans whch means they will always have a financial advantage.

One thing is for sure, it's lucky we didn't follow up any plans to increase the capacity of Ibrox...

Not easy to answer given we had a higher average last season.

Too many factors which influence these figures and both clubs (especially Celtic) may massage their attendances based on season ticket sales.

I forgot about Celtic's made up numbers. We did have slightly more last season but they have more belief they can win this season - maybe that's what it's also about, our fans are getting more and more disillusioned by the cuts in playing staff every season.

if it actually happens, a new owner, zero debt and some spending, could be the spur we need to equal them and keep us on a level playing financially for the near future.

The difference in numbers could change quickly over the next few weeks. A few wins for us and a few losses for them (or vice versa) will hugely affect those who can be bothered going to games.

And I would argue that our style of play is a turn off; no matter how successful it may well be from game to game.

Both Parkhead OF games. Guaranteed sell out (near enough) will fudge numbers up. How much though.

Old Firm at Ibrox still to come. Will have an impact on our average and will close the gap.

Also if they have a "big" game e.g. home to Hearts, or opportunity to go top with a win, their greater capacity also has the potential to skew their average up.

In addition to other factors mentioned above, like the fact that they are lying bastards.

Both Parkhead OF games. Guaranteed sell out (near enough) will fudge numbers up. How much though.

Fair point, that will account for about 1000 in the difference if we fudge the numbers to be nice and round and see that they will have about 9.5k more in those games multiplied by 2 and divided by 19 home games.

Old Firm at Ibrox still to come. Will have an impact on our average and will close the gap.

That will change ours by about 5k divided by 19 is about 250.

Also if they have a "big" game e.g. home to Hearts, or opportunity to go top with a win, their greater capacity also has the potential to skew their average up.

They had 49k and 49.5k for Hearts which we could also accommodate...

In addition to other factors mentioned above, like the fact that they are lying bastards.

Yep, that is a factor.

Its a difficult question but overseas you certainly see more Celtic fans (or shirts - because you can buy them and cant buy Rangers) in the street however when you get talking to people / expats there isnt much in it at all, but from the amount of people Ive spoken to / know Rangers probably edge it, but then Im more likely to talk to fellow Bears.

First of all I'd take into account the Stalinist attendance figures from Parkhead.

Since the "sectarianism" crusade began in earnest about a decade ago, coupled with our PR 'skills' or lack thereof, Celtic are certainly the more fashionable of the two clubs to support. But just remember how few fans they had during our 9IAR period - that was their hardcore. The thousands that supposedly came out of the woodwork in 1998 are the same 'fans' who'll drop away the next time they're seriously shit. Incidentally, I also think it's that sort of fanbase that's driving the "sectrarianism" bandwagon.

There's no doubt in my mind Rangers have a bigger 'hardcore' support. Whoever has the most people claiming to be supporters is something else, but for match-going hand-in-the-pocket commitment I wouldn't even compare the two. I remember when we were doing terribly on the park in 2000/01 we still got 50,000 for a dead rubber SPL match against Hibs. The moment the bheasts are knocked off top spot their crowds are liable to drop to as much as 20,000. That simply wouldn't happen at Ibrox.