We defend Ally and the players, time now to defend the fans

Like most sane bears, I was pleased that we were able to go to the SFA and present a sensible, legal defence of our Assistant Manager and players against the most outrageous media onslaught, and come out with a not guilty and a couple of slapped wrists and small fines.

It was interesting to read that we took our own 3 strong legal team with us to defend us, including our own QC that didnt feel the need to go public and blow his own trumpet.

As many have said before and I say again, the main difference between us and them is, quite simply, class. We have it and they dont.

Anyway, I digress. It appears that we are quite happy to splash the cash to defend any accusations against our owner, manager, and even players, but one part of the Rangers family does not quite get any defence from those running our club, and that is us, the fans.

Over recent years, time and again, many media hacks and commentators have gone to town with outrageous attacks on our fanbase which, had they been defended with the same vigour as the 3 at the SFA this week, may have led to a much fairer and more impartial broadcasting nation than the one we inhabit today.

It is also fair to say that this is not even restricted to media, but the agenda is driven by our enemies to other bodies also, including the Police, the PF, NBM, FARE and UEFA. What defence have we given against this orchestrated and venemous onslaught? Nothing.

Well in my view, and I am sure the view of many others, it is time this was changed. But how to change it? Of course it is difficult to defend ourselves entirely when we continue to sing songs that we have lost the fight (what fight?) on.

It probably took Timmy about 20 years to change things around from one where they had little say and influence to one where they now hold court everywhere that matters. For such a small percentage of the population, they certainly fight above their weight, of that there is no denying.

But enough of them, it is only us I am interested in. We must start to change opinions within the corridors of power, put our side of the story across, ensure we get fair treatment. We must ensure that the Police, PF, so-called anti-sectarian organisations and footballing authorities understand that we have a proud and respected culture also, that we are proud of our heritage and traditions, where we come from as a club and a community, that we are proud of our Country and those who defend our Country.

That we seek no advantage nor cry about how how they big bad folks from across the city are getting everything their own way, merely that as long as we are treated with understanding, fairness and equality, we will have no problem in sorting ourselves out.

We can point to the fact that after TBB was banned in 2007, we organised a meeting amongst RSC's and agreed to self-police and ensure TBB was no longer sung at Rangers matches. This was very successful and worked well for quite some time.

Recently, we have begun to slip into old ways, and it is no surprise to hear that the biggest reason you hear for this, is that we stopped singing the offensive songs, but nobody else was forced to, so why should we bother. It is this line that needs addressing now. We are more than able to ensure that as a club and a support, we are inclusive and inoffensive, whilst retaining the right to be proud of our roots, heritage and culture, but we must see a level playing field where it is not possible for only one club's support to be offensive and all the others to be laughed away as a joke, or argued away on a technicality.

Throughout our history, all we have wanted is equality and fairness, for the game to be decided by skill and endevour, on and off the field, and for this to be the only thing asked of our rivals also. It is time our fans, and more importantly, our club, decided to stand up and be heard for all the right reasons, and to ensure that those with unfair agendas are argued against and not allowed to continue to paint us solely to blame for all the failings in our society, which is how we the fans I am sure believe is what the current situation is.