http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/rangers-tax-probe-swings-into-action-1.1096874?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

THE HMRC investigation into Rangers kicked off again in Edinburgh today ââ?¬â?? with a final decision expected within the next six weeks.

The First-tier Tribunal resumed at a tax chamber in Edinburgh and is scheduled to sit in private for the next fortnight.

The Murray Groupââ?¬â?¢s Employment Benefit Trust, which operated at Ibrox between 2001 and 2010, is under the microscope. Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston has described the tax bill from HMRC ââ?¬â?? who are said to have lodged a demand for an unpaid sum of Ã?£24m ââ?¬â?? as the ââ?¬Å?gorilla in the roomââ?¬Â.

Rangers have appointed Andrew Thornhill QC, Scotland�s leading legal figure on tax issues, to defend them.

He will argue that the EBTs the club operated were then run in similar fashion at a number of other companies.

About Andrew Thornhill QC:

http://www.pumptax.com/members/barrister.asp?b=639

Andrew Thornhill practises in all areas of tax but with special emphasis on Schedule E employee remuneration, share schemes, inheritance tax/capital gains tax planning and litigation.

Chamber's Guide quoted as 'Clients say Andrew Thornhill QC is "outstanding for judicial review and unafraid to give firm advice." He is the head of chambers, whilst also negotiating a broad practice that takes in share schemes, Schedule E employee remuneration, and the tax treatment of UK property transactions purchased using offshore vehicles. He is well known as a "superb heavy hitter against the Revenue." (2011)

He will argue that the EBTs the club operated were then run in similar fashion at a number of other companies.

That isn't an argument he can use as it could just mean that all the other companies could also be liable, but I'm sure it's not one that he will be using anyway.

That isn't an argument he can use as it could just mean that all the other companies could also be liable, but I'm sure it's not one that he will be using anyway.

Yeah I found that less than attractive. Given it's a football journalist writing the article and not a financial one, then perhaps we can forgive the author... ;)

Guest Dutchy

And you've got to remember the government are strapped for cash and being presurised to collect unpaid tax dogers contributions.

Hard to tell how this one will go, but I think the government will be playing hardball.

Agreed BD. If he's as good as reported he won't be basing our case on finger-pointing and saying 'they did it too'.