Walter Smith rejected offer from EPL club

From The Evening Times.

WALTER SMITH today revealed that he rejected a return to the English Premier League at the beginning of this season.

The Rangers boss, who will step down in a month’s time to be replaced at Ibrox by Ally McCoist, made the shock revelation in an interview published in the English League Manager’s Association magazine.

Smith also hinted that he may not retire from the game totally when his time at Rangers ends, depending on the offers that come his way.

But it’s his revelation that, just after he agreed to stay on as manager for one more season last May, he opted against a move back south that will shock supporters.

Smith said: “When you leave a job at 63 everyone assumes that it’s because of your age. it doesn’t necessarily mean that I am going to retire.

“If the right opportunity arose elsewhere, then of course I would consider it. I’ve had opportunities to go back to England on a couple of ocassions, the most recent being at the start of the season. It was a good Barclay’s Premier League club.

“But I didn’t think that it was right to leave Rangers when I had just agreed to stay for one more season.”

I don't know why any EPL club would want WS going by his record when in charge of Everton. His tactics wouldn't work down there. Teams play fast, attacking football down there.

Out of interest, who do you think this club is? Villa? Newcastle? West Ham?

Guest Dutchy

Villa and West Ham are the most probable.

Agree, Walter had a tough time at it when with Everton, but weren't they going through a bit of a board room battle and there was not a lot of money about for him. Sound familiar?

At least he kept them in the top division.

I'm just glad he turned them down,whoever it was,and kept the Rangers afloat and also kept the trophies coming in which of course kept the BHEASTS out of the silverware.Now walter go and win another title afore ye go