The Crucial Contribution of Vladimir Weiss

The Crucial Contribution of Vladimir Weiss

Nobody really likes singling out individual players in a season that was all about team spirit, determination and a winning mentality because it's about more than an individual, it's about every single individual; it's about the whole team.

Having said that, a few players have shone brightly......

Allan McGregor has saved us countless times this season. Most people (not just Rangers fans) see him as the best goalie in Scotland and amongst the top 5 playing in the British Isles. He's played 37 games, made 146 saves and kept 19 clean sheets. We've won the league and if one single man deserves our praise I can't think of a better one than Alan McGregor.

Kenny Miller, our ex-player and SPL top scorer for the season, who's been sunning himself in Turkey and topping up the old tan, racked up a seriously impressive 21 league goals in 18 games that put us in a great position for the turn of the year. He managed 2 hat-tricks in that short spell too which didn't do his season's goal tally any harm and he suns himself with my blessing and a big shout over to Turkey of 'thanks for the goals Kenny'.

Nikica Jelavic, our only big summer signing in 2010 and one which many fans were dubious of has turned out to be not just a gem, but a diamond. When you look back at this guy's contribution this season, consider that he was new to the team and only played 23 SPL games thanks to Ian Black of Hearts, then you get a picture of his quality, especially when a few of those games were sub appearances to bring him back from his injury. He had a smaller goals to games ratio than Miller, but he was new to the squad and considering his 4+ months out injured his contribution actually deserves to be classed as higher than Kenny Miller's because he racked up almost 5 times the number of assists as well. Miller = 1 assist in 18 games, Jela = 5 assists in 23 (including some subs being brought back from injury). What a player!

Steven Naismith, our mouthy, but extremely talented winger come striker has played a massive part too. Message to Naisy - concentrate on your football. You're a quality player. 11 goals and 7 assists in 31 appearances in the SPL this season is no joking matter, but you need to watch your anger. The anger and passion is there in your game, but try to channel it as you have done when you've played your best.

Weir, Lafferty & others I'm not missing you out here, but I need to make a point and it needs to made quickly. Vladimir Weiss scored 5 goals and provided 9 assists in 23 games. Some Rangers fans have labelled him as inconsistent just as they do all the time with players who have the odd bad game, but Vlad has got a cracking record here for a loan player. He's clocked up more assists than anyone in the entire team over the course of the season despite the fact that he only played 23 games from 38.

Vlad... Thanks for your contribution, cheers and we hope you come back to Ibrox next season to help us win our 55th league title. You know you want to! :D

Edited by Zappa

The pass to Jelavic to score in the league cup final was absolutely sublime. First of all he had the vision to see it was on and then he had the skill to put it in precisely the right spot from roughly 30 yards away. That was total class. I think he can only improve so i will be glad to see him back.

The pass to Jelavic to score in the league cup final was absolutely sublime. First of all he had the vision to see it was on and then he had the skill to put it in precisely the right spot from roughly 30 yards away. That was total class. I think he can only improve so i will be glad to see him back.

That pass was absolutely PERFECT. Not just perfect but incredibly difficult to make for a number of reasons.

1. A Celtic player was close to Weiss as he picked the ball up to hit the free kick, so had someone blocking some of his view.

2. Mulgrew was reasonably close to Jelavic, so it had to be hit hard enough to get beyond Mulgrew - an underhit pass means Mulgrew clears.

3. There wasnt a great deal of space behind Jelavic either - an overhit pass and Forster would have got it.

Fantastic pass

we played better and got more points once he was injured.

i believe we are a better team without him.

Possibly but he offers something different and we are looking for +\- 22 players and not just 11. I am still not sure about Wylde to be honest. Weiss has won us games something that wylde has not done.

You wrote more about Jelavic than Weiss.... yer thread title is misleading ya bassa :flipa:

Aye, I fucked it up tbh. Started righting it sober and by the time I got round to finishing it I was the opposite of sober. :drink: