Premier League Transfers Beyond mad

The inflatable English premier league market probably hit a new level of madness today.

Sunderlands Jordan Henderson to Liverpool for 20 million!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13685517.stm

No wonder we cant compete. This guy is 20 and had a handful of good games for Sunderland along with showing a nasty streak with a few red cards yet goes for this amount.

Is he any better than Steven Davis who wouldnt go for anything near that amount?

England cap says it all. I don't think he has a nasty streak its Lee Cattermole who is a whole lot worse.

Tbh its Liverpool being silly paying �£35m for Carroll 21/22 year old and now �£20m for Henderson who is 20/21. Liverpool would expect them to be around for ages and that is why they are paying so much.

If Steven Davis was playing well and at a good level say at his previous club he would be upwards of �£10m. He was doing well at Vila.

Spending �£35m on Carroll and �£20m on Henderson will come back to bite Liverpool on the arse.

Neither player is worth anywhere near those amounts.

I agree with this.

also If I were Ian Holloway I'd be telling liverpool to treble there �£8m bid for Charlie Adam

unrealistic I know but Adam is IMO a better player and more of a goal threat than Henderson.

Guest Dutchy

This is where we are in the so called 'free' market economics.

Strange thing is, that none of this 'free' market results in cheap football for any of us.

It's a lot of shite, so it is.

Phil Jones joining Utd from Blackburn for 17M apparently.

It's the going rate for footballers in England these days.

I suppose you could argue smaller clubs in the SPL look at Rangers and Celtic and think we're as bad for spending �£4M on one player. If you go by correlation, there's a hell of a lot more money in England and they can, conceivably, afford these monstrous amounts.

Man U bought Chris Smalling a virtual non-league player for �£12m so they have previous. Seems to me potential = value in their markets as well as supposed ability. They could all flop and out of the 4 Henderson, Jones, Carrol and Smalling one or two of them will probably Jones or Smalling in my eyes. Have they stood at previous clubs every match? No particularly.

Carroll has done quite well at Newcastle as has Henderson at Sunderland but still ridiculous money for unproven players that could end up being awful their fault. EPL bubble should burst shortly, well I am hoping so.