New Book about Coisty

Guest mccoist9

Guest mccoist9

Fellow Bluenoses

First time post on the site!

In order to mark the recent appointment of Alistair Murdoch McCoist as our manager I have been approached to write a biographical account of the life and times of our greatest ever goalscorer. Entitled ââ?¬Ë?Ally McCoist: Rangersââ?¬â?¢ Heroââ?¬â?¢, the book is due to be released in early October.

As part of the book I�d like to include a section that includes the memories that the Rangers supporters have of Ally�s time with us either as player or assistant manager and their hopes and expectations for the future as we usher in a new era in our illustrious history under his stewardship.

That�s why I�m posting this message on the forum. I�d like to hear from other members of the Gersnet community with their own personal recollections of Ally�s Rangers career be it a favourite goal or just a summary of what Coisty has meant to you since he joined up way back in 1983.

Hopefully this request is an appropriate one and complies with any Terms and Conditions of the forum.

I look forward to hearing from some of the members soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mccoist9

Hi guys,

Is there any interest out there in making a contribution to the book on Coisty?

Send me a PM if you're up for getting involved.

No problems posting this on the forum, absolutely none at all.

Some of my ever-lasting memories of Coisty :

• Scoring that overhead goal against Hibs in the League Cup Final and racing to the Gers fans with tears in his eyes
  • Scoring THAT goal against Leeds Utd at Elland Road with the diving header at the far post from a Durrant cross - and the euphoria being etched on his face
  • The elation he showed when wee Nacho's penalty went in against Fiorentina in the UEFA semi-final - you could see clearly just how much it meant to him.
  • The joy he shows each and every time we win a trophy. It shows just what Rangers mean to him.
  • Watching his autobiography DVD and realising just how good the camerarderie must have been in the dressing room during the 9IAR years - some of the stories were fantastic
  • There are FAR TOO MANY to list thankfully - there are many, many fantastic memories of Mr McCoist as a Rangers player and, too, as an assistant manager and, hopefully, as Manager.

20 odd years ago my daughter who was about 13 at the time adored Ally - I took her along to Ibrox during a day off school (not a match day) and stood at the main door with my camera to take pictures of the players coming in for training.

Every player that came in I asked my daughter Lorraine if she wanted her pic taken with them, but she kept saying 'No, I want my pic taken with Ally' - Player after player turned up, but no Ally!

Eventually we got fed up standing about, then Richard Gough turned up, so I said to my daughter 'before we go, why dont you have your picture taken with the captain', she agreed, but when I asked Gough if he didn't mind posing with my daughter for a photo, he just brushed past us without saying a word..I was embarrassed. So we just walked up the road dumbfounded, moments later a shout went out 'Hey!' we turned round and it was Ally. He waved us back, turned out the guy on the door had told him about us waiting for him.

That MADE her day, she still has the photo. Super Ally, in every sense.

Edited by 54andcounting

Always the competitor, always the showman!

I managed to track them down to the middle of nowhere in Germany 2008 for their preseason. Was the same place Portugal used for the World Cup. I was allowed in to watch the training and was the only Gers fan there, plus a local football coach and his 2 boys. At the end of the training session, McCoist was running to get some of the balls and kicking them over to someone (may have been Fleck, may have been the kitman) who had the bag. 20 yards away and it goes straight in!

Ally looks around in expectation: Did any one see that? He saw that I saw and puts 2 hands up in the air in celebration with a big grin on his face! At the end when the players were leaving the pitch, I got a few autographs and of course wanted a photo. Very kindly Nacho Novo agreed to be the cameraman as I got a photo with my favourite player. Allys banter of course was about the earlier incident... "You see that son? Still got it" he says with a wink. Great memory!

Remember meeting him in Glasgow city centre on a match day (he was with Killie by this time) - we were at home that day (Killie must have had a day off or played the following day or something). I was with the wife and Coisty was with his 2 wee ones.

Asked if he was going to the game and he confirmed he was but the over-riding memory was that whilst it was obvious he loves football he was actually more interested in chatting to my Mrs about his kids, how they were getting on and if the wife was in town shopping.

What he showed that day is that he is a genuine person who is genuinely interested in others and not JUST football. Obviously doted on his kids too, one of them was still in the pram at the time.

Guest mccoist9

Awesome work folks! :notworthy:

These stories are perfect; just what I was looking for!

If there are any more out there that have similar anecdotes then my copy deadline is 15 July.

Thanks again to those that have posted their stories.

If there are any more out there that have similar anecdotes then my copy deadline is 15 July.

What the hell is so bloody special about the sodding 15th of July? My anniversary is that day, as is the release of bloody Harry Potter, ditto the 3rd round qualifying draw for the CL.

And now your deadline is that day too.

The world is going to end on July 15th I'm telling you.