New Book about Coisty

Guest mccoist9

Guest mccoist9

A last wee bump for this thread folks!

So far I don't have enough stories about Coisty to justify running with this section in the book which is a shame since the ones that I have from this site have been excellent!

So, do any of the other members have any stories/memories about Coisty that they would like to share? Reckon I'd need another five/six for my publisher to agree to go with this...........

Can't help you much - I doubt an anecdote about how he once hit on my sister many years ago is what you're looking for!

btw I notice the world didn't end on the 15th. Not so bad then.

Guest mccoist9

Doesn't need to be anecdotal mate.

Can simply be an outstanding memory you have from his playing career (a favourite goal for example) and, if he was one of your heroes, what was it that made him such an icon in your eyes......

Doesn't need to be anecdotal mate.

Can simply be an outstanding memory you have from his playing career (a favourite goal for example) and, if he was one of your heroes, what was it that made him such an icon in your eyes......

The most significant memories I have of him were mostly during the 92/93 run in the Champions League. I remember him crying, despondently looking at the turf at the end of the final game against CSKA, aware we'd missed out on the CL final by a single point. We couldn't get the win against the Russians we needed, albeit because of Marseille's result against Bruges it didn't matter what we did. It was a special run in the inaugural CL, Coisty's goal against Leeds at Elland Road in the qualifier being a highlight, a striker's diving header from a Hateley cross which ripped up the rule book and won the Battle of Britain for Scotland.

There were his hundreds of goals in the SPL, and of course his cracking drive from about 25 yards for Scotland during Craig Brown's regime against possibly Holland which flew into the roof of the net.

There's just too much from his career to pick out one defining moment. But everyone will always remember 'that' goal in the Cup final V Hibs - that stunning overhead kick which just about summed his career up :)