Really interesting week for football in Argentina. Last weekend saw the final round of games. Velez had already won the title the week before after Lanus lost at home to Argentinos Juniors, so the final week was all about the relegation dogfight. River plate have been piss poor for the last 3 years. In Argentina the top divisions relegation is worked out on a points average over 3 years (of 6 championships) designed to help the big clubs avoid the drop. However River's slump over this period meant that they went into the last game needing to avoid defeat at home to Lanus who had nothing to play for.

River lost 2-1, the winning goal coming in the 93rd minute and now have to play a play off with Belgrano from Cordoba first game on Wednesday and the return leg in Buenos Aires on sunday. This is MASSIVE, it's like Rangers or Celtic getting relegated and personally from what i've seen could very well happen because River seem to scared to actually attack. I'm sure something will kick off if they do go down and might head to El Monumental on Sunday to possibly see a bit of Argentine footballing history. River have never been relegated from the primera division.

Olimpo Bahia blanca avoided the drop at the expense of Quilmes who they played on the final day. Quilmes HAD to win and hope River lost but Olimpo won 1-0.

It didn't stop there. Huracan who are rank rotten lost 5-1 to Indipendiente and were being automatically relegated but in the other game Gimnasia had to beat Boca. They were 2-0 but Boca pulled a goal back and then in the 93rd min Martin Palermo with his last touch as a professional nodded down to set up the equaliser. Very ironic as Palermo used to play for Gimnasia's rivals Estudiantes.

So Gimnasia and Huracan go into a sudden death match, the loser goes down and then the other team goes into a 2 legged play off with the team that finished 3rd in National B.

Bit mental but really exciting. Will keep you posted but my tip is Huracan WILL go down, they've shipped so many goals in the last 5 games, that'll mean Gimnasia will go into the play off which i think they will win against San juan. River is a difficult one, there's many rumours that the the main footballing men in Argentina WON'T let River be relegated. So that remains to be seen.

Advice to new Rangers board: Don't sign anyone from Huracan!

Actually the joint top scorer in the league is from Huracan,guy called Javier Campora. But he's the wrong side of 30 and has had more clubs or burds (your choice) than Tiger Woods.

Possible riots in Buenos Aires on Sunday then? The fans of the other teams in BA would be laughing their asses off would they not?

Big time, i really think things could kick off. To be fair to River fans they've gotten right behind the team. I saw the news this morning and they brought a huge following to Cordoba for the game tomorrow. Cordoba is 13 hours by bus. But River's given name by other teams is looking apparent. They get called 'Las Gallinas' (the Chickens) because they've been known to crack under pressure. They're form is poor (drawn 4 and lost 3 from their last 7) and Belgrano are on a roll. Plus Cordoba is the 2nd biggest city in Argentina so there's a Glasgow/Edinburgh type rivalry there to add more spice.

Guest Dutchy
Actually the joint top scorer in the league is from Huracan,guy called Javier Campora. But he's the wrong side of 30 and has had more clubs or burds (your choice) than Tiger Woods.

Advice to new Rangers board: Don't put me in charge of scouting!

As i predicted, Gimnasia beat Huracan 2-0. Huracan had 2 men send off early doors, here's the highlights.

So they are down and Gimnasia are into the 2 legged play off. River are playing right now, they've just gone 1-0 down.

Amazing, Belgrano are now 2-0 up, a few mins after the goal some River fans have invaded the pitch getting in the face of their own players and the match could now be suspended. River fans trying to kick down the fencing.