AUSTERITY v LOYALTY

Guest scotranger

Whittaker would do well to remember that he enjoys his current profile mainly thanks to Rangers. I have no argument with anyone trying to better themselves but I do believe in loyalty. In my working life I have had opportunities to go elsewhere for more money but chose to remain where I was because (a) I loved my job and (b) I had a great employer who was loyal to me. I believe that loyalty is a two-way street. Kenny Miller left for more money but now wants back. (I realise the circumstances under which he left). Who's to say that Whittaker would not have a similar experience.

I don't think Whittaker is anything special and I believe that the �£1m pa he has been (allegedly) offered is far to much for a player of mediocre ability. Especially one with a limited sense of loyalty.

Spot on mate, cant dissagree with you. Hes chasing the dosh best of luck to him.

There can be no doubt that the Rangers fans have been greatly affected by the government severe austerity measures. To their credit,in spite of hardship, the fans have shown fantastic support to the club and team during the season just gone and ticket sales are up on last year in anticipation of the new management regime / team restructure. What a pity two individuals, motivated by utter greed have thrown our loyalty back in our faces. Martin Bain is currently on suspension partly due to awarding himself a pay rise of 35% or well in excess of Ã?£130k. This is a disgusting scenario, particularly in view of the past restraints on player spending. We hoped for better times under Craig Whyte and he has made a fantastic contract offer to Whitty. The idiot turns the club down. This was bad enough but then he and his agent start to criticise Rangers for not recognising his true worth. IMO we are better off without people like this. NO BRAIN - NO DECENCY ââ?¬â?? NO LOYALTY ââ?¬â?? NO GREAT LOSS.

I didn't see this thread before.

Good post, and while I accept the reality of the modern footballer, money, and the way the game is run and conducts itself, Whittaker's conduct has been pretty poor and I'd rather he moved on.

Oddly enough I actually accept loyalty in football is a dying breed, and you can't expect players to show loyalty in the way us fans believe we would in the same situation.

But to turn down lavish sums of money, in order to get even more, away in some backwater league even worse than our own, while your agent slags the club off on your behalf and displays a mild level of unecessary hostillity...

I used to be a big fan of Whittaker and espoused him over Broadfoot, but in the past season I've felt we could do better despite him having a pretty reasonable year of it. This little episode has only reinforced that and I'd be more than happy if he left.