McCoist playing it safe

The apparent signing of up of the likes of McGregor, Davis and Whittaker can only be a good thing but we still need four of five players to come in. IMO though I would rather we tried to bring in 3 or 4 top players who are good enough to go straight into the team rather than buying 5 or 6 players who are there simply to make up the numbers.

I think we would all like that.

Problem is you're talking at least �£6million to sign 3 players of a 'first XI quality' status. Sure, there are bargains to be had (see the likes of Papac and Kayal if you scout imaginatively) but generally once you factor in the costs of resigning players on improved contracts; how much money is realistically left?

If we can secure CL group stage football in August then perhaps we'll see more money spent. Until then (and with the tax case still hovering over us) we'll need to be reliant on loans and Bosmans.

Frankie, I think there is a good dose of realism at Ibrox these days and you are communicating that very well.

We can't be happy Murray is gone and then be unhappy that we've learned from his mistakes.

We SHOULD have �£5M to spend BUT we need about 6 players, fund their wages, plus new, more lucrative contracts for personnel we want to keep. Our spending power is pretty much peanut butter that has to be spread very thinly.

We need to keep risks low until we've sorted out the tax case and hopefully qualified for the CL. I have a feeling we are using proper scenario planning these days.

Even apart from those two challenges, we have to resist being drawn into the addiction to a heavy debt cycle that is prevailing in other countries, and which we ourselves have spent much time in rehab to kick the habit.

Our priority is to compete with Celtic and concentrate on financial parameters of a more modest, sensible and sustainable monetary arena. Celtic seem to somehow have had better finances than us lately but after we cleared a lot of debt and seem to be stable, I doubt they want to risk debt funded overspending and eventually swap the places we held for the last few years - especially as there is only a very small likelihood they could recreate our remarkable success in the pauper's role.

We can't and shouldn't try to compete with the likes of Championship teams who are throwing caution to the wind and risking oblivion in the process. That is one of the most debt ridden leagues in Europe and is stacking up like a house of cards.

We just have to try to pick up the best of the rest at more sensible prices.

Absolutely Cal.

Which makes our youth and scouting systems all the more important to have operating well. With the arena we currently operate in, they are the keys to our successful future.

It is encouraging to hear Craig Whyte state quite publicly that the development of Murray Park and the youth system was one of the major reasons that Gordon Smith was brought in.

It will take time but I reckon Smudger will do a good job with that !

I also thought it may be that he's a poacher turned gamekeeper in the game of signing of players. He should know all the agents' tricks, how to handle them and when to walk away. I really hope he's a wise old codger at this.

If he can improve our publicity and youth system as well, then so much the better.

That definitely WAS one of the reasons fro bringing him on board cal, but it isnt even just that and the Murray park development I mentioned.

Smith has an "all-round" game, his experience of which makes his appointment, IMHO, a very, very astute one by Whyte.

Ex-player - obviously knows the game well

Agent - obviously knows how to handle contracts from "that" side of the fence

Administrator - whether he was a success or not at the SFA he does know the machinations of the organisation

Analyst/Pundit - even his time as an analyst/pundit will assist as he knows how to handle the media

Accountant - IIRC Smith is an accountant. This COULD be positive in the sense that he should know what he is working with in dealing with contracts and transfer negotiations, thus having an accounting background should be good in dealing with how to juggle different situations.

I think he brings a plethora of different types of talent to the club and think Whyte made a very wise choice in his appointment. However, only time will tell if that truly is the case.

Whosthedado. This has got absolutely nothing to do with this post, so apologies in advance, but I couldn't resist this

Is your Avatar YOU?

If so any chance of a meet?

:D No I'm afraid not mate. It's a good Avatar though!