It's all about the Money, Money, Money

Guest BrickHands

Guest BrickHands

The Thoughts and Ramblings of DarcheVinny

There is a hefty rumour circulating the forums and social networks I visit - as you all know - regarding Gregg Wylde's alleged contract rejection and even a 'bust up' with our manager. Looking at the squad selection from the Chelsea game with Wylde's absence and it appears these rumours may well be more than rumours.

Are we about to lose another very promising talent before we've seen him become a first eleven regular? He had a good run as a regular last season, I was hoping he would play a full term for us on the left this season. Sadly, I don't think we're going to see it. In a pre-season transfer window where again we see players we're linked to go elsewhere for better pay packets, to now potentially lose an exciting talent for the same reason, is a sore one.

I could sit here and write about our financial situation in Scotland, Rangers' policies on contract offers and so on. However, I want to talk about the modern day players themselves. Is there anyone left that plays purely for the love of the game in the top leagues? Anyone? Do players like Boyd, Miller, Bougherra, Whittaker and now seemingly young Wylde realise what you or I would give to play for The Rangers? Anything, is the answer. There are many things ruining scottish football, the thirst for money - and lots of it - is the biggest factor for me. I do genuinely fear for the future of the game as more and more players opt for higher salaries than the privilege and honour of being a Ranger, not to mention the success, medals and memories to go with it!

The world is still struggling economically as just last week we saw America up its debt limit by however many trillions. In no way are we fully safe from a world economic crash, collecting your wages for the day in a wheelbarrow and so on. Hypothetically, the worlds' economy crashes, money no longer exists. Who do you honestly think from our current squad would still step up and play the next saturday?

I wouldn't write an article based on a speculative rumour m8. But I do take your point that money is the dominating focal point for football.

Who to blame? Real Madrid. They signed Figo then Zidane for disgusting sums then smashed those records buying both Kaka then Ronaldo.

They are the sole cause of the inflation the game's seen in the last decade. Foreign investors saw those signings and wanted to get in on the act, with all the money they had, so started buying football clubs as toys and signing up top players on revolting wages.

If Real Madrid hadn't been bankrolled by the Spanish government, sanctioning these signings at such astonishing values, the greed and money focus wouldn't exist in the modern game to this extent.

It all started there folks.

Guest BrickHands
I wouldn't write an article based on a speculative rumour m8. But I do take your point that money is the dominating focal point for football.

Who to blame? Real Madrid. They signed Figo then Zidane for disgusting sums then smashed those records buying both Kaka then Ronaldo.

They are the sole cause of the inflation the game's seen in the last decade. Foreign investors saw those signings and wanted to get in on the act, with all the money they had, so started buying football clubs as toys and signing up top players on revolting wages.

If Real Madrid hadn't been bankrolled by the Spanish government, sanctioning these signings at such astonishing values, the greed and money focus wouldn't exist in the modern game to this extent.

Yeah I didn't want to dwell on the rumour as such, just use it to build up to my main point about top footballers not wanting to have been the most successful player they can be, and just wanting the most money they can earn. Hence the question at the end there. Do you think we would have eleven players show up for the next match? Regardless of no wage?

So, if they weren't being paid, do I believe any or all of our players would continue to play? I don't think employees would carry out their job in any line of work if they weren't being paid for it.

And if the global economic meltdown continues, footballers not showing up on a Saturday would be the least of our concerns!

Guest BrickHands

Sure, I wouldn't go to work.

BUT isn't The Rangers Football Club more than a club? For our players, it should be more than a job, more than a wage. Do you think not one player would turn up?

You look at it the other way though. Paul McStay was, regardless of his team, a very promising, talented midfielder. I seem to remember growing up and year after year Napoli, Genoa and others coming in for him, but he wanted to captain ra Sellick, it was his boyhood dream etc. He could've gone to Italy or Spain, not for the money - although I'm sure it would've improved - but he could've expanded his talent, developed his skills and been remembered as more than just the who choose ra Sellick over playong alongside Maradona.

Very little I disagree with there, though do have a couple of points :

1. I think that Sky and the money they threw at the EPL also has a part to play - the sums being spent every window are outrageous.

2. UEFA are also culpable as they chased the $$ with the CL and allowed it to be controlled by the bigger leagues and clubs.

3. I dont believe that Real Madrid were bankrolled by the Spanish government. Being pedantic I know but I think it was the Madrid council that financed them. They were up to their eyeballs in debt and the local council bought the Bernabeu (funnily enough for the same amount as the debt) and then loaned it back at a notional value.

It would be disappointing if Wylde left - however, much as though he has talent, I dont think he is anywhere near the finished article. His final ball is dreadful. But he has the potential to become a valuable member of the 1st team squad.

BUT isn't The Rangers Football Club more than a club? For our players, it should be more than a job, more than a wage. Do you think not one player would turn up?

"more than a wage" - whether they get paid exorbiatant amounts or not they have bills to pay the same as us.

yes, Rangers is more than a club. But players are humans who have to pay bills like any other punter.

Very little I disagree with there, though do have a couple of points :

1. I think that Sky and the money they threw at the EPL also has a part to play - the sums being spent every window are outrageous.

I don't altogether buy this one because there are plenty of skint clubs in the EPL. Sky do spend a lot of money on TV rights but it's not the vast amounts people think.

If it was, all clubs in England would be much more even. Because all would be getting the equal piece of this very rich pie. The outrageous sums being spent are by City, UTD, Liverpool, and Chelsea. Even Spurs haven't spent that much, ditto Arsenal. Those 4 main clubs have a lot of money swimming around for players. It comes from sources other than TV revenue.

2. UEFA are also culpable as they chased the $$ with the CL and allowed it to be controlled by the bigger leagues and clubs.

3. I dont believe that Real Madrid were bankrolled by the Spanish government. Being pedantic I know but I think it was the Madrid council that financed them. They were up to their eyeballs in debt and the local council bought the Bernabeu (funnily enough for the same amount as the debt) and then loaned it back at a notional value.

Government/council - the point is authorities stepped in to help them. This would happen for no other club and it spawned this mentality of vile sums of money in the modern game.

It would be disappointing if Wylde left - however, much as though he has talent, I dont think he is anywhere near the finished article. His final ball is dreadful. But he has the potential to become a valuable member of the 1st team squad.

Completely unrelated but it's interesting to see both halves of the OF have a promising young left winger they've brought through from their youth systems. James Forest for timmy, and Wylde for us.

Nope. I don't mean this patronisingly, and I say it with full respect to you, but you're thinking like a fan and that players should think like fans.

They really, really don't. It's a job to them. Even David Healy with his clear love of Rangers would not show up for Monday's training if he was not being paid for it.

Quite frankly neither would I.

Bills to pay, y'see, as Craig bluntly puts it.