McKay agrees terms with Rangers - work permit pending

According to the BBC, this transfer is complete - pending work permit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14436925.stm

Australia midfielder Matt McKay has agreed terms with Rangers and is close to completing his transfer from Brisbane Roar.

The Scottish champions are awaiting a work permit for the Roar captain.

McKay, 28, played the full 90 minutes of Wednesday's 2-1 friendly win over Wales in Cardiff.

Earlier this week, the club said: "There are work permit issues, but Rangers hope to overcome them and get McKay on board."

Rangers were hopeful of completing negotiations this week while McKay was in the UK with the Australia squad.

McKay, who picked up his 17th cap on Wednesday, has come recommended by former team-mate Craig Moore, the former Rangers defender.

Former Rangers midfielders Ian Ferguson, who is presently coaching Perth Glory in the A-League, and Charlie Millar, a former team-mate of McKay, have also both spoken highly of the player.

McKay was the Australian media's player of the season after captaining Roar to their first national title and beating Central Coast Mariners in the A-League final.

Although McKay can also play in the middle, Rangers are short of a left-sided midielder to compete with Gregg Wylde.

Youngster Wylde has found himself behind the more naturally right-sided summer signing, Juan Manuel Ortiz, so far this season.

Although McKay can also play in the middle, Rangers are short of a left-sided midielder to compete with Gregg Wylde.

Hm ... Kerkar is a left winger. Ortiz played as a left winger. Lafferty has been used there. Naismith has been used there. Wallace can be used there ... I do think they mistook left with right here.

Hm ... Kerkar is a left winger. Ortiz played as a left winger. Lafferty has been used there. Naismith has been used there. Wallace can be used there ... I do think they mistook left with right here.

It's the Rangers way everybody has to do his time on the left before he gets to play anywhere else it will be shagger next.

Problem is none of them are actual left midfielders per se. Even Kerkar and McKay are more centrally minded players while Wylde was originally a left-back.

I'd love us to re-sign Weiss. The wee man was inconsistent at times last season but he's a great option to have - from the bench as much as anywhere else.

Problem is none of them are actual left midfielders per se. Even Kerkar and McKay are more centrally minded players while Wylde was originally a left-back.

I'd love us to re-sign Weiss. The wee man was inconsistent at times last season but he's a great option to have - from the bench as much as anywhere else.

Wouldn't say no to that.

You wonder with all those people at ManC, what they would want for Weiss as a straight buy. 7 first choice people plus Nasri out of my head alone.

I'd heard they quoted �£4m for Weiss earlier this summer to a Spanish side.

really can't see the wee man getting many games there but they seem determined to loan him out rather than sell him and Mancini seems to be dead set against him coming back here.