I�d love the chance to be a Euro star like Danny

DANNY WILSON proved a Euro star for Rangers - and wound up in his Anfield of dreams.

Now Ross Perry has begged boss Ally McCoist to hand him the same shot at glory.

The 21-year-old produced a performance to be proud of on his SPL debut for the SPL champions.

Pitched into the heat of battle when a groin injury forced Kyle Bartley out, Perry defended with courage and class as Gers beat Inverness Caley Thistle 2-0.

Up next for McCoist's men is a trip to Slovenia and Thursday's Europa League qualifier against Maribor.

And with Gers in defensive disarray, Perry is now in line for his first start.

Davie Weir, Sasa Papac and Steven Whittaker are all OUT of the Euro clash.

The Murray Park medical team will spend the next few days working on Bartley, but the on-loan Arsenal star looks set to miss out. It's a hammer blow for McCoist, but it could prove to be the chance Perry has been praying for.

The defender said: "I would definitely relish getting a chance on Thursday.

"I don't know if I will actually start, but given a chance I would jump at it.

"It would be the biggest game that I have played, but this has given me a lot of confidence.

"I'd jump at it if given the chance and I feel ready for it.

"The perfect example is Danny Wilson, who came in and did well in a similar situation when we were a bit short.

"I just hope I can do the same - just be solid and be part of the team."

Perry's world has been turned upside down in a week he'll never forget.

A debut against Chelsea in last week's glamour friendly at Ibrox was followed up with a starring show for Scotland's Under-21s against Norway in midweek. Then, in the Highlands on Saturday, Perry made his first SPL appearance.

And last night he confessed: "It's been a bit of a whirlwind week. I got a bonus last Saturday getting on for the second half and the Under-21s during the week and this has just topped it off.

"I wasn't expecting to play in any of the games and then to come away with three games - it's just been a great week.

"I had a bit of a silly injury at the start of pre-season and last Saturday was my first game time on the pitch this season. It's been a good week and I think it has definitely helped me. I was happy with the tackle I made at the end, but that's your job to be there."

Perry didn't put a foot wrong and he helped Gers to a vital weekend win. And afterwards he was quick to pay tribute to Dorin Goian for talking him through his debut.

Perry said: "Goian is a very experienced defender. He talked me through the game well.

"He was talking me through it and keeping me right. I never felt out of place, to be honest, but to have someone like that on your shoulder was good."

Gers boss McCoist admits he's dropped his interest in Carlos Cuellar.

But Perry knows more new faces could still arrive. Yet he's vowing to fight for his place after being given a taste of the big time.

He said: "From the manager's point of view, he has to get the strongest squad possible and that's nothing to do with me.

"I would be happy if we got the best players in the squad. If the players aren't coming in and that leads to me playing, then that's just a bonus.

"I think your first task is not to look out of place and the majority of younger boys who have came in have been outstanding.

"We're all confident and we're all going to try and take our chance. In years gone by, it might have been a token gesture going in and training with the first team, but definitely not now.

"We're really part of the squad just now. The likes of Jamie has got as good a chance of starting as anyone."

Two controversial penalties gave Gers the win over Caley at the weekend.

Thistle boss Terry Butcher blew his top at match official Euan Norris but Perry insists the ref was RIGHT to award Gers the spot kicks.

He added: "I never had a good view of the first penalty, it maybe looked 50/50. But the second one was just clumsy.

"That maybe shows Goian's experience just to get in front of him, but I think they were both correct."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3752084/Id-love-the-chance-to-be-a-Euro-star-like-Danny.html#ixzz1V3SCftV4

Just to add to that Ian.... from what I've seen so far from Perry I'd rather have him playing in central defense than Broadfoot if we're struggling/pushed for central defenders. Broadfoot looks as if he's trying to catch the eye by doing silly things (taking on players in the box etc) when all that's needed is to defend the box and clear the ball, you know?

Perry looked good against Chelsea and again at the weekend when he came on, he made a fantastic last ditch tackle in the box where he nearly got injured. He can only get better and it's good to see another youngster coming through with potential.