Billy Dodds backs Rangers enforcer Maurice Edu to star in derby clash

Former Rangers strike star Billy Dodds has backed Maurice Edu to play a pivotal part for the SPL champions when they face Celtic in the first Old Firm game of the season at Ibrox on Sunday.

The USA internationalist arguably enjoyed his best outing of the season in the 1-0 victory over Dundee United at Tannadice last Saturday.

Although Gers midfield enforcer Lee McCulloch did make a late cameo appearance, his lack of game time after an injury absence would seem to point to Edu continuing to occupy the main defensive berth in the Ibrox boiler-room.

Despite Edu having attracted attention from French cracks Auxerre during the transfer window after an uneasy start to the campaign, Doddsy believes the 25-year-old has a key role to play against the Hoops.

He said: â??I would say Mo Edu is the prototype modern midfield destroyer. If he is playing in a midfield with more than one creative player around him then he keeps things simple, breaks up the opposition play and slots neat, short passes to the likes of Steven Davis. He is very good at that.

â??Where Mauriceâ??s problems arise is when there is maybe more than one defensive midfielder in the team and he has to play a game that he is not comfortable with.

â??That is when he has to come up with something creative, as he did during the game at Maribor, when Lee McCulloch also played, and it didnâ??t quite work out for him.

â??But this game is at Ibrox and I think Ally McCoist will post a fairly offensive midfield. Steven Naismith maybe on one flank and either Gregg Wylde or Matt McKay on the left-hand side and Davis inside.

â??If Coisty does that and Edu plays, it would allow him to get on with doing what he does best. I think he could have a key role to play.â?

Dodds added: â??Lee McCulloch is going to be lacking a bit in match sharpness, and Edu has the legs, youth and hunger to combat Celtic in the central areas and break them up.

â??If the game was at Celtic Park then maybe the experience of McCulloch would be preferred. Lee has always done an effective job for Rangers in Old Firm matches but, with this one at Ibrox, I think Ally will stick with Edu.â?

Given that Sundayâ??s clash is the first Old Firm encounter of the new campaign, many see it as a game that carries extra significance.

Indeed, with the financial clouds hanging over the SPL champions and the fact that it is manager McCoistâ??s first Old Firm game in charge, it could be argued the need for a home win is even greater than normal.

But Dodds, who starred for Gers between 1999 and 2003, dismisses that suggestion.

He said: â??Obviously every one of these games is massively important to everyone involved. On top of that, the winner will occupy pole position in the SPL.

â??But you would have to say that if you were going to lose an Old Firm game, the first one of the season would be the one do so. That is because the damage inflicted is not terminal and there is room for recovery.

â??Given how tight the cham-pionship race has been in recent seasons, you can very rarely say that of the derby games which come in the second half of the season.â?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/billy-dodds-backs-rangers-enforcer-maurice-edu-to-star-in-derby-clash-1.1123641

McCoist has been trying to get McCulloch fit, a wee while last week, and a bounce game yesterday.

I'm with Frankie, I think he will go with 5 across midfield, more trying not to get beat, than going for a win.

Prove me wrong Ally.

Please Ally prove us all wrong just for once.

McCoist has been trying to get McCulloch fit, a wee while last week, and a bounce game yesterday.

I'm with Frankie, I think he will go with 5 across midfield, more trying not to get beat, than going for a win.

Prove me wrong Ally.

To be fair, while I'd like to see us take the game to Celtic, their main strength lies in midfield so it is important to negate their influence there.

As such, I'd be happy with the five mentioned above but would prefer McKay to play instead of McCulloch.

To be fair, while I'd like to see us take the game to Celtic, their main strength lies in midfield so it is important to negate their influence there.

As such, I'd be happy with the five mentioned above but would prefer McKay to play instead of McCulloch.

I hear what your saying Frankie but just for once I would like us to stop worrying about them and get after them, their defence is piss poor and can be got at.

I hear what your saying Frankie but just for once I would like us to stop worrying about them and get after them, their defence is piss poor and can be got at.

I agree which is why I hope to see Jelavic, Lafferty and Naismith all play. Add in Davis, McKay and Edu then that's as attacking a team as you can get - tempered by the majority of those players being able to work hard and play deep when appropriate.

:)