Starting to trust Ally?

Ok, first off I am going to be generous and forget Europe. Walter too had his Kaunas so there's precedence for us failing against teams on the continent we should beat.

No, I mean domestically.

If you look at the league, our record is 99% perfect. Our only dropped points were to Hearts on the opening day, and since then we've conceded only one genuine goal - Ally had a lot to live up to in the SPL, and I have to say, slowly but surely he's starting to earn my trust.

The league cup was appalling, on the other hand, and with a strong team we lost to Falkirk youth. Everything was wrong that night.

But the league is bread and butter - and I find myself slowly starting to believe in Ally now. It helps that a lot of players are having great seasons - Goian, Boca, Davis, Lafferty, Naismith - even Edu is starting to improve. And Wylde's come a long way.

He's made a few decisions I find baffling - the Whittaker shambles remains his big gaffe. But so far, league wise, you really cannot complain.

I just seriously hope we can scrape into the CL next season because 2 years without it would be a lot to stomach.

For me his biggest mistake/s so far were playing Jig in 3 of our 4 European games and playing him against Falkirk. It might seem extremely unfair to single out Jig when he's been a good servant to the club and has his heart in the right place, but I don't think Jig should still be playing for us unless we've got an absolute emergency and even then I'd rather a youngster was given the chance to play alongside Davis if our other options are out.

If Edu and Ness both end up injured at some point I just hope that Ally has the sense to play McKay because playing Jig and losing games will not be accepted. There's already plenty of people wondering why on earth we've sent Kyle Hutton out on loan and kept Jig when Hutton is clearly a better option.

The one good thing is that already Ally knows what his best 11 and is consistently picking it - Lennon doesn't know his best team 18 months into the job. Ally's signings on the whole have been decent. Goian and Bocanegra look to be forming a very good partnership and Lee Wallace looks good as well. The jury is still out on Ortiz, Bedoya and McKay. We all know what Bartley can do after last season.

There appears to be more competition for places than last season. I think the likes of Ness and Perry have enhanced the squad. Young Ness should be a starter every week if he stays clear of injury while Perry has looked good when called upon. I wouldn't have sent Kyle Hutton out on loan as I think he's good enough to part of the squad but he will probably benefit from it as will Kal Naismith who seems to be doing great at Cowdenbeath.

We could do with another striker coming in but hopefully when Kane Hemmings comes back from injury he will be pushing Lafferty and Jelavic and I think McMillan is a better back-up to Whittaker than Kirk Broadfoot.

Hopefully Ally will learn from the European experience this year and be a bit more shrewd in that arena but so far, so good in the league. Just please don't play Lee McCulloch on a regular basis!

Guest Dutchy

I think Ally was overly tentative in the beginning, especailly in European games. While we were paying these teams respectful homage, they were saying they were going through. Ally is best the way he played the game, with a swagger and he's now beginning to show belief in himself as a manager, the way he did as a player. It's looking good for the CL next season.

Just a point to clarify. I was sure the winners of this seasons title go straight into the group stages of the CL next season. Isn't that the case???

From the start I thought that Ally would need time. I wasn't sure about his appointment as manager, purely due to the circumstances surrounding the club at the time & selfishly because, well because the man is a legend & I never want to have to view him in a different light.

Since then I have maintained that as long as we win the SPL this year I'll be happy & proud. I had hoped we would have done a bit better in Europe, getting kicked out of Europe early may have been embaressing & shocking for our finances but less midweek football gives our players more time to recover & less chance of injuries.

Welcome mate. Ally has been a success at everything in his life ( first marriage aside ) have no doubt he will be as manager.

I agree mate, it was just a matter of whether the success would be immediate or whether we would have to wait.

I agree mate, it was just a matter of whether the success would be immediate or whether we would have to wait.

I think we still have to wait because the cracking start to our SPL season doesn't guarantee success. Personally, I'll give Ally as long as he's still our manager and support him till the day he isn't. I'll maybe criticise him along the way for decisions he makes etc, but he'll always have my backing in the bigger picture and I'll never call for his head. To me, that's what Ally deserves; full support and backing no matter what.

Welcome to the forum btw Ergatrude!! :)

I think we still have to wait because the cracking start to our SPL season doesn't guarantee success. Personally, I'll give Ally as long as he's still our manager and support him till the day he isn't. I'll maybe criticise him along the way for decisions he makes etc, but he'll always have my backing in the bigger picture and I'll never call for his head. To me, that's what Ally deserves; full support and backing no matter what.

Welcome to the forum btw Ergatrude!! :)

Well said, I think that backing goes for the entire team too *cough* Edu *cough*. Playing well now that a certain section are off his case, for now.

Cheers for the welcomes too, been following you guys on twitter for a little while, didn't realise there was a forum to boot (ignorance is bliss). Only been a member for a few hours but alot of interesting reading. Cheers.