Rangers line up new kyle lafferty contract

RANGERS are set to offer Kyle Lafferty a new deal.

Officials from the Ibrox club will sit down with the Irishmanâ??s representatives soon in a bid to get the striker to extend his stay beyond next season.

The Gers are desperate to sort something out with Lafferty well in advance of him running down his existing contract.

â??Iâ??m really keen to see him extend his deal,â? said manager Ally McCoist. â??And Iâ??m hopeful we can do that.

â??Itâ??s important we get talks underway and with him having said he would like to stay I would like us to sit down with his people and look at it all. I donâ??t want to lose him.â?

McCoist has been a long-time supporter of his previously wayward star but has been delighted at the 24-year-oldâ??s growing maturity and influence on the team.

ì

Iâ??m really keen to see him extend his deal

î

Rangers boss Ally McCoist

â??I know Kyleâ??s had both fans and critics in the past and he is what he is but Iâ??ve seen a steady improvement and thereâ??s a lot more to come,â? added McCoist.

â??He has a very good goalscoring record here.

â??And I think he will get better still. There are plenty more goals and good games to come from Laff and I want them to be here.â?

The strikerâ??s contract doesnâ??t run out until 2013 but thereâ??s no way McCoist or Rangers will hang about till then to sort out his future.

The Gersâ?? manager will look to owner Craig Whyte to get a new deal done and dusted soon.

Whyte, though, has bigger fish to fry right now after another fraught week in charge at Ibrox.

Court cases, the tax problem and television programmes have dominated the Ibrox clubâ??s agenda over the last few days.

And although it is becoming increasingly difficult for McCoist to keep other issues at armsâ?? length and away from the football side of things he insisted: â??We have to keep that separate to everything else.

â??We go to Tynecastle this weekend to play Hearts and if weâ??re not focused weâ??ll get our fingers burned.â?

Whyte, meanwhile, insists itâ??s â??business as usualâ? and has vowed not to let anything distract McCoist and his players from going for four titles in a row.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/279116/Rangers-line-up-new-Kyle-Lafferty-contract?

He only ever seems to improve at the end of the season, which, on the face of it, seems fair einough. But let's not get carried away that he's top dog, at the moment.

yeah, but has Jelavic not been scoring goals? I've watched Lafferty miss a few sitters, and he looked not that good today either.

He appears to be a wee bit inconsistant to me, only ever showing his worth at the end of the season.

He was hooked today remember.

yeah, but has Jelavic not been scoring goals? I've watched Lafferty miss a few sitters, and he looked not that good today either.

He appears to be a wee bit inconsistant to me, only ever showing his worth at the end of the season.

He was hooked today remember.

1. Yes, Jelavic has been scoring goals. However, your slight on Lafferty was about performance, not goals. Lafferty has brought more to the team this season than Jelavic.

2. Jelavic has probably missed more sitters than Lafferty this season.

3. You want inconsistent ? This season Jelavic has been more inconsistent than Lafferty.

4. It was no surprise Lafferty was hooked, he was playing the lone striker role with very little service.

Funny how this "Lafferty is inconsistent" debate only rears itself when the big fella hasn't had his best of games. This season he has been better than Jelavic, of that I am pretty convinced.

Him being hooked today is not reflective of his performances in a league season in which we have played a dozen games. He gets subbed oin one game and that is indicative of his form . Gimme a break

You misunderstand me Craig. I'm not comparing Lafferty with Jelavic, who has also not been performing that great.

Again, Lafferty finished last season on a high and was credited with 'winning' us the the title. Most folks were hoping for a resumption of that form, which I don't see.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, but I'd resign him also as he can be a match winner, when playing to his full potential.

I am by no means a Lafferty lover my man. But I do recognize when someone is playing well. IMO Lafferty has been doing well this season, but I don't hav the same blinkers as some that think he is wonderful.

As soon as I saw the line up today I expected him to play poorly. He isn't suited to that formation.

That's true, he didn't set the heather alight when put in to that set up under WS, but I was hoping for more of the end of last seasons form.

He is still a contributor, nonetheless.

I think you are underestimating Jelavic's scoring record of late which I think is 5 in the last 7 games. I agree he is not hitting the heights of last season but I really do think that he is doing better than he is getting credit for.