Media Request

Guest chris99

Guest chris99

Hi All,

I work for a production company called VBS, we're an independent company and we broadcast films on our own website / youtube, etc to a regular audience of around 5 million. We normally go to places like North Korea, Libya, Congo to make films but we want to make one around the current situation in Scottish football, politics, law...

We see the mainstream media seem not to be trusted when talking about the new Offensive Behaviour Bill, as a lot of people think they have some kind of agenda. We'd like to talk to regular fans on how they see it. Why they think the Bill has been brought in, whether it's needed, what agenda they think people are pushing. I think people outside of Scotland (including ourselves) are quite perplexed about what's going on, so I want to speak to some people firsthand.

I'm going to be in Glasgow tomorrow (Friday 18th) and Saturday with no cameras, meeting interested folk. If you have a view to air, or know of someone who you think would appreciate an approach, please send me a DM and I'll get back to you.

All the best and thanks for your time, especially Frankie who's been very helpful,

Chris

Guest chris99

Was planning on concentrating on Glasgow (so Rangers and Celtic), as that seems to be where this action is focussed. Do you think that's too narrow?

I understand fans don't want to be seen as two sides of the same coin, or set up side by side, so I'd be keen not to fall into a misrepresentative trap.

Was planning on concentrating on Glasgow (so Rangers and Celtic), as that seems to be where this action is focussed. Do you think that's too narrow?

I'm actually not quite sure whether I think it's too narrow or not.

There seems to be a general consensus or common perception that the Bill will only really be targetting Rangers and Celtic fans for their "offensive" behaviour and that's where there's a serious problem being created here because football fans at every club in the UK have been known to say and do offensive things on matchdays. It's completely commonplace and it's part of the atmosphere at football games or at least it certainly used to be before the lunatics were let out of the asylum and the world went bonkers on "political correctness".

I'd like to know how on earth the government, police and courts are going to fairly and justly define what's offensive and what's not. Is the word 'fenian' more offensive than the word 'cunt'? Many many people are offended by vitriol or swearing and that happens LOUDLY, every week, at almost every football game in the world. I simply can't get my head around the logic of making certain arguably offensive things highly illegal while ignoring others. It's idiotic.

If they're going to legislate on offensive behaviour at football in Scotland then they're going to have to do it fairly and that means not only targetting Rangers and Celtic fans, but targetting ALL football fans no matter whether certain matches are televised or not. If a Rangers fan can get arrested for singing, chanting or shouting something offensive, then the same should go for all other football fans in the country. There isn't going to be one law for us and a different law for others. If they think they can get away with that, then they better have a rethink.