Struggling for Cohesion

It does look like people can't live without a win every week. There is a consistency every season that we have "bad spells" and "good spells". Away from home, we have consistently shown that we can beat any opponent in Scotland. At home, when forced to play football to break stubborn sides up, we've been lacking. That is something we knew and know for months. Cometh Hearts, Dundee United and the Hooped Horrors, i.e. teams that like to play football too, we fare easier. The sooner the "breaking-low-key sides up" problem is solved the better. Sure not something to panic about yet indeed.

I think Naismith is a great player, but we're a team and I don't think we're going to crash the title because our best player is out injured for the rest of the season.

Yesterdays performance against St Johnstone was abysmal, but when we have a run of 5-6 games of 3 pointers, including porkheid, we'll have forgotten all about this poor game and result. I hardly think much about the Hearts and St Mirren games these days, disappointing as they were.

Of course, we could keep on trying to fulfil the Chris Sutton prophecy, but I thought that was only to sell books to the deluded. I for one don't adhere to that particular piece of pish philosphy.

Struggling for Cohesion

In a previous blog, Naismith's enforced absence from the team was discussed at length, especially pertaining to the effect it would have on the team. Who could replace him, would the system be altered, and how might it affect morale?

In the three matches since his injury, including the fateful match at Aberdeen, it is not totally unfair to suggest the side has struggled a mite. Against Aberdeen it took a stunning ball from Bocanegra to be clinically dispatched by Lafferty, before a Jelavic penalty sealed the points. It cannot be disputed that the performance outwith these moments was perhaps not particularly bright.

Against Utd the team toiled badly till another moment of quality from Aussie midfielder McKay set up a thunderous diving header for Jelavic to set the Gers on their way, but the afternoon was not a comfortable one when Daly pulled one back for the Arabs. The points were sealed thanks to a Kenneth own-goal.

Fast-forward to yesterday's dire match against Steve Lomas' St Johnstone. The visitors must be credited with a buoyant display which even included taking the game to their hosts, but that said, the spark, invention, organised solidity, creativity and even watertight defence which have punctuated the majority of the season from the Light Blues were all conspicuous by their absence. Not a single player from the home dressing room can hold their head high (with the notable exception perhaps of substitute John Fleck) after a rather feeble and wistless match, and manager Ally McCoist must also take a substantial piece of the responsibility.

His responsibility, as previously mentioned, is to manage this team in Naismith's absence, to adopt an alternative formation or system to cope with the loss of the vital contribution he makes, especially in the 4-4-2 setup.

The over-riding problem was Bedoya, while an honest enough individual, is not the same kind of player Naismith is. He cannot replace him in a like for like fashion - there is no one in the squad who can. This is of course not in any way to blame the American for yesterday's mediocre 0-0 display elicited by the entire team, but it shows how McCoist has work ahead of him to find the right alternative system which suits the players he has now. Maybe reinforcements will be obtained in January to ease the burden, but for now, what system could be used?

There are many possibilities, but one involves bringing young Ness into the fray and adopting a three-man midfield alongside Edu and Davis. Using the fullbacks for width and using a creative player in the hole behind Jelavic and Lafferty - possibly Fleck, maybe Bedoya, or even Davis himself and using McKay in deeper midfield to replace the Ulsterman.

This, is mere speculation, and only the musings of one fan. Ally McCoist is the man shouldered with the responsibility of finding the right blend in the absence of Naismith (and, for that matter, in the absence of Wylde, Wallace, Papac et al) to compensate.

From what we have witnessed so far, he has yet to solve the dilemma. Let us hope, from an Ibrox perspective, that he conjures something relatively swiftly.

I agree with you that the system and personel need tweeked Danny. For me the answer is to get Ness into a central midfield 3 who can dominate possesion against most teams in the SPL. If we lose Ness again to injury then we should use Hutton or McKay in the middle with Davis. The 3rd central midfielder should be the "in the hole" link-up player, so basically an attacking midfielder. Davis himself can actually play that role because his attacking game as a midfielder is his greatest strength. Personally, I think our strongest midfield would be Ness beside Hutton with Davis playing as the attacking link-up man in front of them. I know we paid a fair bit of money for Edu, but for me Ness, Hutton and Fleck are all better players than the American. Ortiz is also a better player and IMO he should be considered as an option for midfield alongside Hutton and Davis if Ness is out injured.

When Wylde is back from his suspension he'll play on the left with McKay probably benched and there as Wylde's backup. On the right wing I personally think we should give Bedoya a chance, but Ortiz deserves a chance too, as does young Bendikson who looks like a skillful, talented player with pace and that bit of flare required to take on a man, turn a man etc.

Finally I'd like to say that I think we should buy Weiss from Man City in January and I know it probably won't happen, but that's what I think the team now needs. icon14.png

A month ago i would have argued you to death about that, but it's not a bad shout mate. Play Fleck in the middle see if he's got the balls for it.

Maybe its about time he proves why he has been kept on for so long when other youngsters have been sent elsewhere.

I think that it is sometimes forgotten that Fleck is still a young player. He is still only 20 years old. It is only normal that a player starts maturing at 20\21. The pressure put on him to perform at such a young age can also have had a negative effect on his development. Personally I think he will come good but he may have to leave Rangers for it to happen. Sometimes a step backwards is a step forward. Obviously I hope he can come of age with us.