SPL announce new five year TV deal

Don't why the other thread was locked?.

I was just thinking would SKY/ESPN have signed the deal if Rangers would not be part of that deal?.I'm sure the BHEASTS will be thinking a secret deal has been done to '' save Rangers '', which of course would keep Scottish football alive.:smile:

Don't why the other thread was locked?.

I was just thinking would SKY/ESPN have signed the deal if Rangers would not be part of that deal?.I'm sure the BHEASTS will be thinking a secret deal has been done to '' save Rangers '', which of course would keep Scottish football alive.:smile:

I guess it was done by mistake Ian,I can't see anything to lock it. I have merged your post into this one.

500k households for a population of only 5.5million is one hell of a big ask. An impossible amount I would think given that there are foreigners and a hell of a lot of people who don't like football. Out of the 5.5 mill there are roughly 2.4million households that means you are looking to get one fifth of all households. I think you would be struggling to get anywhere near 200.000 housholds. I know Holland need 750.000 households from 16 million people to cover the costs and are getting nowhere near that. After that you have your running costs. Judging on your 100pounds then you have 20mill. I really think you would struggle to break even on that. Now you have a guaranteed 14million per year for doing nothing. No worries no risks. Are you still so sure?

Without going into it too deeply pete because we don't actually know exact numbers for doing calculations, just look at it this way: A couple of hundred thousand (maybe more) Rangers fans turned up in Manchester for the UEFA Cup Final. I'd say there were (probably) at least as many again sitting back in Scotland and NI watching on the TV. Then you've got thousands (maybe tens of thousands?) of Rangers fans living abroad. Now, that's just a very rough idea of figures for Rangers fans, but when you start to consider the number of Celtic fans and fans of other SPL teams too, then you actually have astonishingly large numbers! Maybe it wouldn't be possible to get 500k subscribers to an SPL tv channel, but you never know! If it was only a tenner a month to get full coverage of ALL SPL games, that would be a pretty good deal for any fan of a Scottish team. Something else to consider is that many clubs already have their own filming and broadcasting equipment so it's not as if an SPL channel would need to have particularly significant setting-up costs or running costs for equipment and equipment hire. The core of the required staff are already employed by the clubs for doing their own online broadcasting as well (RangersTV etc etc).

Well, whether it could work or not doesn't matter since the new deal's been done. I will say though, that I would never have expected Doncaster and his staff to push for or support SPL tv because it would mean the SPL needing to be run on a tighter budget and turkeys don't vote for Xmas!! ;)

I keep reading that its a good thing for Scottish football and could be the start of our game picking up. But if this was the case then surely the CB would have been quite keen to continue the sponsorship? Only time will tell if there is going to be a bigger sponsorship than we currently get.

A thought I had is to get the fans back into the stands, games should have a delay on them so no game is shown live until after a certain time. This would obviously only be able to happen if the SKY/ESPN deal wasn't going to happen.

Without going into it too deeply pete because we don't actually know exact numbers for doing calculations, just look at it this way: A couple of hundred thousand (maybe more) Rangers fans turned up in Manchester for the UEFA Cup Final. I'd say there were (probably) at least as many again sitting back in Scotland and NI watching on the TV. Then you've got thousands (maybe tens of thousands?) of Rangers fans living abroad. Now, that's just a very rough idea of figures for Rangers fans, but when you start to consider the number of Celtic fans and fans of other SPL teams too, then you actually have astonishingly large numbers! Maybe it wouldn't be possible to get 500k subscribers to an SPL tv channel, but you never know! If it was only a tenner a month to get full coverage of ALL SPL games, that would be a pretty good deal for any fan of a Scottish team. Something else to consider is that many clubs already have their own filming and broadcasting equipment so it's not as if an SPL channel would need to have particularly significant setting-up costs or running costs for equipment and equipment hire. The core of the required staff are already employed by the clubs for doing their own online broadcasting as well (RangersTV etc etc).

Well, whether it could work or not doesn't matter since the new deal's been done. I will say though, that I would never have expected Doncaster and his staff to push for or support SPL tv because it would mean the SPL needing to be run on a tighter budget and turkeys don't vote for Xmas!! ;)

Too difficult to get into the numbers.

But you have to remember that of those 200,000 in Manchester that number would include a) tons of people from overseas and b) multiple people from the same household.

Likewise, with the many people still sitting back at home there would be multiple people in the same household.

However, this isnt just a "Rangers" thing.

If the Seville calculater were to be believed then the two OF UEFA finals in the last 8 years saw about 300,000+ fans at those finals. Even if you said on average that there were 3 people per household (so 100,000 households) and that is just for those in attendance. There would be at least double that who were sitting at home. And this is before we start talking about the other SPL teams.

Also depends, though, on whether people would pay even 100 quid for just SPL football to watch. If they had daily dedicated interviews from each club and exclusive news then they could possibly get the numbers they want.

Would certainly be an interesting option to investigate.

Even if you said on average that there were 3 people per household (so 100,000 households) and that is just for those in attendance. There would be at least double that who were sitting at home. And this is before we start talking about the other SPL teams.

Aye, at least double! More like four, five (or maybe more) times as many.

I would have thought most of the money selling the rights abroad would've brought most of the profits in, surely there's some interest by all the ex-pats around the world.