I’ve paid to play for Gers

SONE ALUKO revealed last night he has PAID around £150,000 to sign for Rangers.

But the winger told SunSport: It's worth the risk.

Aluko's Ibrox move was on the verge of collapse as Aberdeen demanded compensation for the 22-year-old and skint Gers were unable to pay.

Fearing the move would fall through, Nigerian ace Aluko's family and friends helped him sort the cash wrangle.

He said: "I don't have millions in the bank. Looking at it that way, this is a BIG risk.

"I've literally put my whole career on one decision. If it goes wrong, it goes VERY wrong.

"Equally, if it goes right, then it pays off.

"I'm fortunate the people around me, my friends and family, believe in me.

"The people who are representing me have also been fantastic.

"But this is a decision I have made.

"I wouldn't have done this for just any club. I'm doing it for a massive, massive club, one with great tradition and an unbelievable fan base.

"But added to that, the way the people at the club have treated me convinced me this was the right thing to do.

"The staff and players made me feel like this is where I wanted to be.

"That's why I was willing to sacrifice a lot to make it happen and make it work."

Aluko — set to make his Gers debut against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Sunday — added: "It was great to get everything sorted.

"As soon as I got the opportunity to come here, it's what I wanted.

"Everyone knows all about Rangers and Celtic and this is the biggest team in the country in my opinion.

"I had three days to wait before I got to come for my trial, so I had a chance to calm down by the time I arrived.

"I've not played a lot in the last four months, but I knew if I got an opportunity like this I had to be ready for it, so I've kept working hard.

"Now I'm ready to play if the manager needs me and although I'm a bit behind the boys, I'll do my best and give my all."

Aberdeen confirmed the terms agreed involved the 'receipt of training compensation, potential contingent payments and a sell-on clause'.

Chief executive Duncan Fraser told the club's website: "Despite press speculation to the contrary, the club has been adamant throughout that the principles under which an agreement could be reached involved the recognition of our right to training compensation.

"Rangers accepted these principles and, once they had decided that they would make a contract offer, we were able to agree a mutually acceptable position."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3959002/Ive-paid-to-play-for-Rangers.html#ixzz1eflfNQ6V

RANGERS are the only club he's ever wanted to pay for.

But Sone Aluko last night vowed to fully reimburse those close to him who made his Ibrox dream come true.

Aluko, 22, feared his chance of signing for Ally McCoist was all but doomed.

Aberdeen refused to allow him to complete the deal unless they got the compensation they were due. The transfer was almost off.

But Aluko was stunned when his friends and family insisted on helping him in his hour of need — by raising £150,000.

And last night — in an exlusive SunSport interview — he revealed: "It's been a stressful week. The fact I got a game was good, that helped. Things moved back and forth quite a bit so I'm just glad everything has been sorted out.

"It reached the stage that someone had to do something. There was a stand-off.

"I just looked at the situation and couldn't see this happening any other way. Someone had to be willing to sacrifice.

"Rather than letting it all become very messy by going to tribunal — and risking having the deal fall through — I decided to invest in my own future. My family and the people around me also helped enormously to make this happen.

"On the back of that we got it done. Now it's up to me to go and repay the faith everyone has shown in me and prove it was a good decision.

"Apart from my older sister, the rest of my family are all back home in Nigeria.

"Not only have they given me their financial support, they've helped me with moral support. That was amazing for me.

"They've now gone the extra mile financially. It's brilliant when the people on your side believe in the same thing you do. I feel I will do well at Rangers and can have a bright future.

"I've just had to make sacrifices to get there.

"Hopefully when my career comes to an end this will prove to be a good decision."

Aluko at 22 isn't an experienced pro who has earned a fortune from football.

But in a day and age when the game is full of money-grabbing mercenaries it's a credit to the boy he even considered this option. He is convinced he will cash in by landing a long-term deal at Gers after his six-month stint.

Aluko added: "I don't have millions in the bank. Looking at it that way, this is a big risk. It's a very big risk. I've literally put my whole football career on one decision.

"If it goes wrong then it goes VERY wrong. Equally, if it goes right then it pays off.

"I'm fortunate the people around me — my friends and family — believe in me. The people who are representing me have also been fantastic.

"But I wouldn't have made this decision for just any club. I'm doing it for a massive, massive football club. One with great tradition. One with an unbelievable fan base. The staff and players made me feel like this is where I wanted to be."

Aluko could quite easily have sat tight and waited until the end of the season when he'd have been free from Aberdeen's clutches.

But he was terrified that would see his chance of moving to Ibrox pass him by.

He added: "I had other options. I've had talks with various clubs and this never crossed my mind. Rangers is the only club I'd do this for. In my eyes it's a massive club worldwide.

"I could have taken the easy route. I could have said 'I'm going to sit out the rest of the season'. But maybe I'd have missed out on Rangers.

"I want to look back when my career finishes and say I played for top clubs. I didn't play football at the age of seven or eight thinking about how much money I'd make. I thought about playing for big clubs and winning things. I want to win trophies and at Rangers I'll get that chance."

Aluko is now certain to become a target of the Aberdeen fans who have a hatred of Rangers.

He said: "Do I seem like the kind of person who worries what other people think? If they boo me then that's up to them. Aberdeen are a big club but not as big as Rangers. If they think I've made the wrong decision then let them boo. But they'd be better getting behind their own team."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3958947/My-family-in-Nigeria-helped-with-my-dream.html#ixzz1efmMUtQR

When you think about it he has to be on something like 8 grand a week, in 26 weeks he should earn over 200 grand. If the 150k he paid is tax deductible then that's a gross wage of 50 grand for six months.

While not great for a Rangers player, his family certainly won't starve.

Having said that, it's a pretty amazing gesture.