McCOIST keen to hand Maurice extended stay with the champions

More...

ALLY McCOIST has revealed he has opened talks with Maurice Edu's representative aimed at extending the midfielder's stay at Rangers.

The American has been one of the Light Blues' most consistent players this season after a disappointing few months towards the end of last term.

At one point the former Toronto star had seemed set to move on and Blackburn Rovers were linked with a move for him over the summer.

But Edu was determined to fight for his Ibrox future and he has shown improvement in recent weeks as Gers have stayed clear at the top of the SPL table.

The 25-year-old moved to Glasgow in 2008 and penned a five-year contract, of which he has 18 months remaining.

McCoist is keen to fend off any potential suitors and has consequently begun talks in a bid to secure the USA international for the foreseeable future.

The manager said: "We've spoken to Lyle Yorks, a smashing lad who represents Maurice, about keeping him here.

"It has been well documented that we are looking at keeping Kyle Lafferty here and like him, Maurice has 18 months to go on his current deal.

"It is common knowledge you have to make it be known that you want to extend deals at this stage and that's where we are with both of those players at the moment.

"I think Maurice's form in the last three or four games has been really, really encouraging and he has certainly been one of the better players in the team.

"He's one of these guys who doesn't always catch the eye but if you ask his team-mates about him, they'll say he always gives performances that are helpful to the side.

"We've been very pleased with him. The one thing Maurice does do is work extremely hard - he's a real grafter and a workaholic. That's a massive part of his game."

Edited by Frankie

I think I could apply my Whittaker post to this one as well... :D

Not having read it I would guess something along the lines of there's a decent player there, seriously lacks in consistency but wouldn't be a huge loss as long as there's able back up?

I do wonder why Ally is so infatuated with signing up (long term) existing average-good players.

Edu has been ok, nothing more or less. At times woeful, at times actually quite good. But certainly never anywhere near the form he scaled when we won 52. He was brilliant that end of season. Never has come close to being that consistently good since.

But he's made the most appearances under Ally. Which tells you what he thinks of him.

He's certainly been playing a wee bit better recently, well the last 2 games, but he's played some rubbish as well. In fact, the majority of his contributions have been rubbish, this and last season as well.

If we had to let any player go, it would be him.

Not having read it I would guess something along the lines of there's a decent player there, seriously lacks in consistency but wouldn't be a huge loss as long as there's able back up?

Close enough. Here, have a chocolate watch! :cool:

If we had to let any player go, it would be him.

Disagree with you here Dutchy. I reckon Broadfoot/McCulloch should be first in line to leave.

At least Edu earns his wage by always being fit & acting professionaly.

Broadfoot & McCulloch have had alot of injuries recently.