Rangers Open London Office

RANGERS Football Club today announced the opening of its first London office with the view to expanding its international brand in overseas markets.

Misha Sher, currently Business Development Director with global football business company Soccerex, will head up the new London office from next week.

The newly created post is part of the club's global strategy to maximise the Rangers brand in overseas markets and provides the club with a dedicated presence in the UK capital for the first time in its 140 year history.

Born in Ukraine and educated in the USA, former youth footballer Misha has spent the last 12 years working in football in the UK, initially as a journalist on football magazine 'The League' before moving into football business with Soccerex.

In his role as Global Partnerships Director, Misha will be responsible for growing the Rangers brand internationally and the development of new commercial opportunities and strategic partnerships overseas.

Ali Russell, Chief Operations Officer at Rangers, said: "We are delighted to open Rangers' first London office and welcome Misha to the Rangers family.

"Rangers is an international brand and we are focused on maximising all opportunities to build our brand in overseas markets.

"As part of that strategy, we identified the benefits a London office would bring so we set out to find the right person for the job.

"Misha brings a wealth of international experience to Rangers and we are confident he will help the club deliver its global ambitions.

"We are excited about the global opportunities that lie ahead."

Speaking about his appointment, Misha Sher said: "Rangers Football Club is a world-renowned brand with tremendous history and ambition for the future and I am delighted to be joining such a great institution.

"The club has existing supporters all around the world who are passionate about Rangers and I want to build on that - both in the regions where there is already significant brand presence such as North America and Australasia, as well as targeting regions with high growth potential such as Asia.

"Being based in London will allow me more flexibility when it comes to meeting with potential partners but the ethos of Rangers will be at the core of everything I do."

Duncan Revie, CEO of Soccerex said: "Although sorry to be losing Misha I'm delighted he is moving to such a prestigious position with one of the great football clubs of the world.

"As he has been with Soccerex, Misha will be an invaluable addition to an already existing Rangers culture, tradition, and history."

Very strange timing to be expanding with a London office and taking on new emplyees when Ally McCoist supposedly doesn't even know if he has money or much to spend in the transfer window.

Agreed. I'm very underwhelmed. It's hardly the time to be doing it when companies worldwide are cutting back on marketing spend.

It strikes me of a similar venture to Northern Spirit or the Chinese team. Asia is dominated by the EPL and we are not going to break into it short term with little or no TV coverage. We may do something in Australia and North America but if we didn't have much success while we had a team full of stars, it's hardly likely to work now.

However I hope I'm proved wrong.

Edited by Bluedell

Agreed. I'm very underwhelmed. It's hardly the time to be doing it when companies worldwide are cutting back on marketing spend.

It strikes me of a similar venture to Northern Spirit or the Chinese team. Asia is dominated by the EPL and we are not going to break into it short term with little or no TV coverage. We may do something in Australia and North America but if we didn't havbe much success while we had a team full of stars, it's hardly likely to wirk now.

However I hope I'm proved wrong.

The other strange thing to my mind is that they've went ahead with this before knowing the outcome of the EBT case. Misha Sher will be on pretty serious money and no doubt he won't be the only new employee taken on and getting paid London wages.

All very bizarre to be honest.

It'll take more than a London office to break into Asia and then the cost of protection from all the rip off jersey sales. They'll be going straight out the back door of the suppliers we already use to the back alleys of Bangkok, Beijing, Jakarta, New Delhi, Seoul, and Taipei, not to mention Kathmandu, Lhasa, Vientiane or Hanoi.

Soon they'll be Rangers everywhere and not one of them will be paying us a Baht a Yuan or a Dong.

It'll take more than a London office to break into Asia and then the cost of protection from all the rip off jersey sales. They'll be going straight out the back door of the suppliers we already use to the back alleys of Bangkok, Beijing, Jakarta, New Delhi, Seoul, and Taipei, not to mention Kathmandu, Lhasa, Vientiane or Hanoi.

Soon they'll be Rangers everywhere and not one of them will be paying us a Baht a Yuan or a Dong.

We probably can't even make any money from broadcasting rights in Asia, so I don't see any attraction in targetting that market at all.

Having said that, one thing that would maybe make it worthwhile would be signing an Asian star player, but it would need to be a player who plays for a relatively successful national team in a country which is really into football and India doesn't come into that bracket, so that's why we weren't overly hysteric about the Indian trialists here on the forum.

At the end of the day we should be signing high quality players and if there's some commercial spin-offs due to their participation in a national team or their country of origin, then so be it, that's a bonus, but the idea of signing average players from no-mark countries which aren't even interested in football just because some guy thinks there's a market to be tapped is pretty laughable. Maybe I'm completely wrong though or missing something.