Andrew Ellis appointed as a director and Phil Betts resigns

What is this about?

Betts has apparently "resigned" and Ellis has been appointed a non-executive Director of the club. I've always wondered when Ellis would arrive on the scene because he wasn't made a director of the Rangers FC Group (or Wavetower) for a laugh. So, the time has come.... mmmmmm.

Here's the statement -

DJ Rangers Football Club Plc Directorate Change

TIDMRFC The Rangers Football Club P.L.C. (the "Company" or the "Club")

Directorate change

The Company announces the following changes to the board:-

Andrew Charles Peter Ellis, age 44, has been appointed as a non-executive director with immediate effect.

Current Directorships & Directorships in last 5 years:-

The Rangers FC Group Limited, Braidhall Consultants Limited, Blunham Properties Limited, Newaston Limited.

No further disclosure pursuant to Rule 71 and paragraph 18 of Appendix 1 of the PLUS Rules is required in relation to the appointment of Mr Ellis.

Furthermore, the board announces that Philip Betts has resigned as a director of The Rangers Football Club P.L.C.

The Board would like to thank Mr Betts for his valuable contribution to the Company.

Craig Whyte, Chairman, said "On behalf of the board I am pleased to welcome Andrew Ellis as a non-executive director of the Club. Andrew is already a director of the Rangers FC Group and his previous experience in football will be a benefit to the Club as we look to the future."

"I would like to thank Phil Betts for his contribution to the board and the Club following the takeover last year."

The Directors of The Rangers Football Club P.L.C. accept responsibility for this announcement.

END (END) Dow Jones Newswires

January 20, 2012 12:00 ET (17:00 GMT)

Edited by Zappa

I view this as extremely BAD NEWS. I don't know anything about Mr Betts but I do know quite a lot about Mr Ellis. As I have said several times on here, at the time of his abortive takeover bid, I was the Secretary of RST. On 15 March 2010 his then agent in Guernsey, David Gilmour of Marlborough Trust Company told me in answer to a direct question, that Mr Ellis had no interest in Rangers as such. DG brought the idea to AE. He DG sees it as a “terrific opportunity”.

Of course it is possible that Mr Ellis is now more intersted in Rangers and less interested in the "opportunity" but his football experience at QPR and Northampton Town hardly fills one with great confidence.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Inserted italics to show quotation from my notes at the time of the conversation.

I view this as extremely BAD NEWS. I don't know anything about Mr Betts but I do know quite a lot about Mr Ellis. As I have said several times on here, at the time of his abortive takeover bid, I was the Secretary of RST. On 15 March 2010 his then agent in Guernsey, David Gilmour of Marlborough Trust Company told me in answer to a direct question, that Mr Ellis had no interest in Rangers as such. DG brought the idea to AE. He DG sees it as a “terrific opportunity”.

Of course it is possible that Mr Ellis is now more intersted in Rangers and less interested in the "opportunity" but his football experience at QPR and Northampton Town hardly fills one with great confidence.

BH, Craig Whyte said himself in his STV interview a few months back that he had seen taking over the club as a "business opportunity".

Well, a lot of us would like to know where Whyte, Ellis and these other guys see the "opportunity" because buying a football club is seldom a profit-making bizniz opportunity.

The RST, RSA, VB and no doubt others have apparently had face-to-face Q&A sessions with Craig Whyte and not ONE of them have asked questions about where he and his partners in the venture see an "opportunity".

There is some comment about this in the Rangers magazine interview with Ali Russell. The discussions on the Hinshelwood Development Proposal in 2006-07 involved the Club, GCC, GHA and the owner of the site at the corner roundabout. A major issue was the Albion Car Park which is required to provide the 900 spaces necessary in connection with the Club Deck. Now that the Hinshelwood flats have been demolished the way may be open to the Club (or should I say Mr Whyte) developing the land that they own around the stadium.

There is some comment about this in the Rangers magazine interview with Ali Russell. The discussions on the Hinshelwood Development Proposal in 2006-07 involved the Club, GCC, GHA and the owner of the site at the corner roundabout. A major issue was the Albion Car Park which is required to provide the 900 spaces necessary in connection with the Club Deck. Now that the Hinshelwood flats have been demolished the way may be open to the Club (or should I say Mr Whyte) developing the land that they own around the stadium.

Any development of that property should be for the benefit of the club, not the benefit of a few individuals.