Statement On Fans - Kilmarnock game

Disgraceful.

Hopefully one day along with many others as a future supporter stakeholder, in shared ownership of Rangers. I would campaign and vote to secure an joint agreement between all partners, that we as a club should never release such a craven capitulation statement for public consumption ever again.

We have stopped every song/chant they have flagged for near on 2 years. Still they sing their ira songs without any reproach. I have no need to mention fenians when I support Rangers, but we should not bend down and be shafted by people who would be happy to see our demise.

Edited by chilledbear

As I pointed out already, "Fenian" has been re-defined in the West of Scotland ... and it is pretty clear by whom. There is a clear agenda behind this and the sooner this movement is being tackled the better. What next? Look up a nicer meaning for Al-Qaida or Taliban and warp reality to that?

I gave a definition of that term from an independent book over on our German website:

+ + +

... the definition of the word in one of the world’s leading publications on the matter: James MacKillop’s - Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology.

(ODoCM, p.210)

When a Rangers supporter uses this term, s/he does not refer to anything else but the terrorist group mentioned above or their supporters. No anti-Irish sentiments or the like, as modern day press- and media folk like to impart into anything the Bluenoses sing or utter.

The Bears usually denominate the Celtic support as Fenians (much like the latter call themselves too (sic!)), as well as anyone connected to the I.R.A., which essentially is nothing but a successor of these “Fenians”. The term as such is not religious or sectarian, unless used in the context of Roman Catholics of Irish descent. Other than common opinion, the latter is not the pre-eminent notion when common Rangers supporters address those of Celtic as Fenians. For the Celtic support revels in the traditions of the "Fenian" I.R.A. terrorists, glorifying their personnel and deeds in many a song. People who are responsible for the deaths of more than 1,800 British citizens.

+ + +

As long as we do not make a stand against the

to make their ends meet, we'll lose out.

dB - You're so right. I've been trying to make this point for years. This is a manufactured offensiveness that never existed. As are other offensivenesses that never even offended. They were merely a political vehicle.

GA's point about inconsistency is also one that is totally correct - but at the end of the day, it's an argument that we will never win. I do make the point that - while we know that certain words/chants/songs are deemed to be inappropriate - it's totally suicidal for sections of the support to continue with them and therefore sympathise with FS's previous comments.

We need to approach this in a much smarter and reasoned manner, but now is not the time - we've got too much on our plate at the present.

My opinion is that it's perfectly possible to achieve this, and that it just requires some savvy strategy. Tit for tat attempts at defending ourselves won't work. Didn't work for the Jews under the Third Reich, and it won't work here. One should learn from history.

Let's bide our time and work up the solution. It's not that difficult. Knee jerk reactions will not help at all.

Double Standards will soldier on, I think I'll take the points to someone in a higher position in the near future.

On a sidenote ... people sometimes mix up the ban of "sectarian" songs in the stadia with being restricted in their personal freedom (of speech). You can essentially sing nigh any song 24/7 out there at home or in the streets, though it is always about the way these songs are being sung. Much of the rebel and loyalist songs are essentially "folk" songs or the like and are being sung all over Ireland and in parts of Britain with no ill intend in mind. The only places you are not allowed to sing certain songs is on a Saturday afternoon for about 100 minutes in a football ground. That is essentially the some "law of the land" rule that is in place in every concert house or library. Something everyone ought to be able to obey. That said, if there is one rule for us, there should be rules for the rest too. The SFA/SPL should have more guts and make sure that e.g. Killie supporters also stop their version of TBB and whatnot.

In the Glasgow context, the songs take on a more grim tone though, yet I for one would still regard them as some sort of ill-adviced and cynical banter between football fans. At least until roundabout 2007. Since then, the more we essentially "stopped"* nigh all singing of TBB and FTP because of UEFA rulings, the more their singing took on a viler tone. As if they would revel in our songbook's decline and the fact that absolutely none is being done about theirs.

Their songs revolve around terrorists and anti-British behaviour, not football, and sure not politics. And even if, what would be the difference between "discriminatory" chanting on our behalf and pro-terrorist chanting on theirs? Apart from the latter being offensive not just to Rangers supporters, but to all British people, not least the British troops who served in Northern Ireland, Afghanistan et al, whose dead are continually mocked? Points I will put to that higher authority.

*That said, you cannot expect 100% correct behaviour in amongst thousands of football fans, who come from every age group, being emotionally charged up or simple bampots. But these 5 to 10% per game cannot simply be put to the sword or the like each and every game - nor being used as a club to wield against the whole Rangers support. FARE's Celtic-minded spy has shown the way though ...

Edited by der Berliner