Tam Cowan's Take On That 'Penalty'

SPL vote is as fair as general election in Korea

By Tam Cowan on Mar 24, 12 07:30 AM in

WELL thanks a lot, Lenny, for spoiling what could have been an exciting end to the season.

I thought we were all gearing up for a thrilling finale to the current campaign but the Parkhead boss has totally ruined it by letting it slip last Sunday that Willie Collum denied Celtic the Treble.

Okay, we all knew the Hoops had the SPL title sewn up weeks ago but I didn't realise the Scottish Cup was a foregone conclusion. Did you?

Apparently so. According to Lennon, it seems Celtic already have it locked inside the trophy room.

It would be easy to have a go at Lennon for jumping the gun and being totally disrespectful to the three other clubs left in the competition but I actually think this is terrific.

Think about it. The fact Celtic are seemingly guaranteed to beat Hearts in the semi and either Aberdeen or Hibs in the Final means we won't have to endure any of that cliched manager speak from Lenny before both games.

After claiming Collum denied Celtic the Treble, surely Lennon won't come out with the hoary old claptrap about Hearts being tough opponents, blah blah blah and Aberdeen/Hibs being right up for it yada yada yada?

How refreshing, eh?

Listen, removing the tongue from my cheek, it wasn't Collum who blew the Treble for Celtic. It was their own players.

Quick - name five players in the Kilmarnock team?

Exactly. No harm to the Rugby Park outfit but they're hardly a side packed with household names.

So it's frankly embarrassing - and a bit insulting to both sets of fans inside Hampden - to hear Lenny trying to blame the defeat on the referee.

The Celtic boss says he only wants the officials to do their jobs properly. Does that also apply to the players? What about Gary Hooper's howler in the first few minutes? What about the acres of space the Celtic defence allowed Killie for the winning goal?

Did Collum honestly have a poorer game than Kevin Wilson? Don't think so.

The bottom line is Celtic's bottle crashed yet again on the big occasion and the better team raised their game to win the trophy fair and square. End of story.

For what it's worth, I thought Collum should have awarded a penalty. Yep, when Frather Forthter came for the ball and kneed a Killie player in the back, I reckon that was a certain spot-kick.

The Anthony Stokes incident? Don't be daft.

No stranger to a wee tumble inside the box, the Celtic striker simply took a touch too many and then went looking for a penalty.

In the dying seconds of a cup final it was a brave decision by Collum.

"You won't see many more clear-cut penalties than that," said Lennon. Nonsense!

"The Kilmarnock player lunges at him and takes his leg away," he continued. Not from the four different camera angles I've watched.

"It's a stonewall penalty. It's a shocking decision, absolutely shocking."

No it wasn't. No it wasn't. No it wasn't.

And shame on Stokes for such a pathetic attempt at trying to spoil Kilmarnock's rare moment of glory.

The Celtic fans have enjoyed a field day of late with lots of banter about Rangers "cheating".

But what about Stokes?

One Kilmarnock fan - my mate Stuart - reckons the Celtic striker should now be stripped of the goals he's scored this season.

Meanwhile, so much for Celtic not needing Rangers.

Looks like Peter Lawwell is jumping back into bed - again - with the Ibrox club as they try to protect their SPL voting rights from the other 10.

"We are disappointed that the meeting of the 10 clubs took place without us," said the chief executive of a club that once held secret talks with Rangers and the English Football League in David Murray's office.

The Gang of 10's bid to win fairer voting power is deemed "divisive" by Lawwell.

A bit rich when he seems to spend half his life talking bollocks about Celtic moving to England.

And what about his recent meeting with the Rangers administrators? How many of the other 10 SPL clubs were invited to that little chat?

Lawwell reckons the Gang of 10 could end up damaging Scottish football's standing in Europe. And that, of course, is the Old Firm's job.

It was on the day Celtic lost the League Cup Final to a bottom-six SPL side that we read reports of Celtic joining England's League One.

You can see the attraction - they wouldn't have to play Kilmarnock.

Lawwell says he's now ready to offer the rebels a 14-team top flight and he's clearly desperate to agree some sort of compromise because the day might come when Celtic's Ibrox allies no longer have an SPL vote.

Listen, the other 10 clubs simply want a fairer voting system that doesn't smack of a general election in North Korea, Uganda or Iran.

But here's the big problem for the Gang of 10 - you probably need an 11-1 vote before you can vote on a change to the voting system.

Incidentally, I confidently predict Motherwell will be playing in England before either half of the Old Firm.

Well, I read this week that Wembley will be playing host to the 2013 Champions League Final.

Guest Dutchy

It certainly has been a very slow version of speedy justice in this case.

And I'm with the rebel 10 on this voting system. How will anything ever change for the good of all Scottish football with this 11-1 voting system in place?