Squad Next Season

When we sell we must get what we want for the players. We screwed up again on Jelavic. I said,along with a few others that we should have held out for 10mil,8mil minimum. Now he's killing it in the Epl and the toffees could punt him for 15 if they wanted.

When we sell we must get what we want for the players. We screwed up again on Jelavic. I said,along with a few others that we should have held out for 10mil,8mil minimum. Now he's killing it in the Epl and the toffees could punt him for 15 if they wanted.

They could probably get more than £15m if they hold out for the right offer Dan. You just have to look at what Liverpool paid for Andy Carroll. The times of us selling our players for less than they're worth needs to come to an end.

He's versatile, experienced, reasonably skilled, won't be on a crazy wage and he's got 2 years left on his contract.

Ortiz wont be back, I am pretty confident about that.

he hasnt shown nearly enough for us to want to keep him.

Edited by craig

The problem is that McGregor, Davis and Naismith who are Rangers fans are all on higher wages than what we can really afford. They're all on long contracts too along with Whittaker who's also on a higher wage than we can afford. Ideally, I'd like us to keep the first three, so what I'm thinking is why not sell Whittaker to effectively reduce the wages of McGregor, Davis and Naismith. Ok, so it wouldn't be reducing their wages, but it would reduce the overall wage bill. If you added the departures of Papac and Healy to the equation, then the wage bill would be coming down a lot by only losing Whittaker, Papac & Healy before anyone even considers other cuts.

Aye but what you havent factored in there is that you say they are "Rangers fans" - those guys who are the higher earners (I am not convinced tthat Naismith's wage is huge but we know the other two are) will be financialy able to take a pay cut. To what extent they take one is anyone's guess but if I were to make a guess I would say McGregor would take a 25% pay cut because, to me at least, it is clear he WANTS to stay. I also think Naismith would too - I dont think Naismith is all about the money but I could easily be wrong. But I know he is one of us and would possibly be prepared to accept a lower wage. Davis is different IMO - he has already stated his desire for another crack at the EPL so there is a good chance he would leave if a decent offer came along.

If Davis left I would put Naismith in his position as I think he has similar qualities but Naismith is more consistent IMO than Davis - and the timing of his runs from deep is what makes Naismith so effective - so playing CM would help him there. Obviously we would be looking to use McCabe and Ness in there too but I would prefer to ease them in rather than making them the engine room tight from the start of the season.

I was watching the game today and I actually think that Whittaker is far more effective playing in midfield than defence. Defensively he is shocking but he is actually naturally talented going forward.... That said, he is earning ludicrous wages and he would be one I would be willing to let go. I would be comfortable using either Broadfoot or Darren Cole at RB.

Unfortunately we are in the position of having no alternative but to look for versatile players because our squad will be small. And I know this will absolutely NOT be popular..... but I think we should keep Jig on. Since admin he has arguably been our best player. He can do a job up front as he has proven numerous times since admin - he knows where the goal is, wins his fair share in the air, actually holds the ball up reasonably well and brings other players into play. I also think he would be prepared to accept lower wages too given he is nearing the end of his career anyway. We could certainly do worse than Jig.

It is far too early to be talking about squad, formations etc though.

The problem is that McGregor, Davis and Naismith who are Rangers fans are all on higher wages than what we can really afford. They're all on long contracts too along with Whittaker who's also on a higher wage than we can afford. Ideally, I'd like us to keep the first three, so what I'm thinking is why not sell Whittaker to effectively reduce the wages of McGregor, Davis and Naismith. Ok, so it wouldn't be reducing their wages, but it would reduce the overall wage bill. If you added the departures of Papac and Healy to the equation, then the wage bill would be coming down a lot by only losing Whittaker, Papac & Healy before anyone even considers other cuts.

All the players you mention Zappa took a 'drastic' pay cut for the cause, don't you think (Whittaker included) they could continue on a slightly smaller wage than what they're worth?

Whittaker has always been a target for fans as being a liability for us, but right now if we can keep him and he wants to stay then I'd welcome that.

Whittaker has lapses in his game, cost us at times, in saying that I hope we still have him on board next season.

Ortiz wont be back, I am pretty confident about that.

he hasnt shown nearly enough for us to want to keep him.

He doesn't get any recognition for having played a part in our winning run in the league at the start of the season Craig. There were a number of games where I was impressed with him. I was actually very surprised that we shipped out Ortiz and McMillan when we had injury problems at right back.

He doesn't get any recognition for having played a part in our winning run in the league at the start of the season Craig. There were a number of games where I was impressed with him. I was actually very surprised that we shipped out Ortiz and McMillan when we had injury problems at right back.

He was unimpressive far more times than he was impressive.

We have Whittaker, Broadfoot, Cole and Edu can play RB too. And I will be honest, I would take ALL 4 of them before I took Ortiz.

All about opinions though I guess.

All the players you mention Zappa took a 'drastic' pay cut for the cause, don't you think (Whittaker included) they could continue on a slightly smaller wage than what they're worth?

Whittaker has always been a target for fans as being a liability for us, but right now if we can keep him and he wants to stay then I'd welcome that.

Whittaker has lapses in his game, cost us at times, in saying that I hope we still have him on board next season.

I actually like Whittaker as a player because he's skilled and I agree with Craig that he's more useful as an attacking player, be it on the wing or maybe even in central midfield if we're playing the 3-5-2 system, but I've got to be honest... A) He's never worth the reported salary that he's on and ... B) He sold his Rangers jersey at the Malmo game in Sweden last year, a game that was worth a lot more to Rangers than Steven Whittaker. None of us want to hold grudges, but that was almost unforgivable because it wasn't just a lapse of discipline, it was utter stupidity.

He was unimpressive far more times than he was impressive.

We have Whittaker, Broadfoot, Cole and Edu can play RB too. And I will be honest, I would take ALL 4 of them before I took Ortiz.

All about opinions though I guess.

Absolutely all about opinions and mine is that Ortiz could do a good job for us as a skilled utility player if he was made welcome within the team. He went back to Almeria in January and supposedly did well, chipping in with several goals. He's the type of player that with a small squad he could be called on to play in a wide variety of positions.

I actually like Whittaker as a player because he's skilled and I agree with Craig that he's more useful as an attacking player, be it on the wing or maybe even in central midfield if we're playing the 3-5-2 system, but I've got to be honest... A) He's never worth the reported salary that he's on and ... B) He sold his Rangers jersey at the Malmo game in Sweden last year, a game that was worth a lot more to Rangers than Steven Whittaker. None of us want to hold grudges, but that was almost unforgivable because it wasn't just a lapse of discipline, it was utter stupidity.

You mention the Malmo game yes that was unforgivable (I crucified him for that on here) there are even more games we could all look at regarding Whittaker. In our current situation we really have to try and hold on to players like him, desperate as we are.

Whittaker can do a job for us.