Full Steam Ahead - GREEN says transfer ban does not affect takeover

CHARLES GREEN today did not indicate that the transfer ban on Rangers will affect the takeover of the club by the consortium he is leading.

The former Sheffield United Chief Executive is spearheading a 20-man group from the Far East, Middle East and the UK who hope to bring Rangers out of administration through a CVA.

Mr Green was well aware of the SFA'S transfer embargo and the possibility that the Appellate Tribunal would uphold that decision last night.

Now discussions will take place over what is the next move for Rangers.

He said: "When we offered to buy the club we realised what the potential was. Last night's announcement was an option we considered when we bought the club.

"We are discussing all the options available to the club."

Mr Green was at Hampden today on pre-arranged meetings with both SFA chief executive Stewart Regan and SPL counterpart Neil Doncaster and said the discussions were positive.

He said: "It's the first time I have met the SFA and the SPL and the meetings went very well. Clearly it was important to speak to them and introduce myself.

"The questions they were asking were the obvious questions - what our intentions are, where we plan to go.

"We achieved quite a lot. We spoke to members of the SFA's board and executive members of the SPL and I think it has been a very productive afternoon.

"I think that we are happy that everyone is positive in looking at what is the best for Rangers and for the SPL."

Of course it doesn't affect it, it's not just preferred bidder. He's entered his consortium into a legally binding contract. 'Irrevocable'.

I'd love to see this "legally binding contract".

"I think that we are happy that everyone is positive in looking at what is the best for Rangers and for the SPL."

Neither the SFA or the SPL have been trying to do what's best for Rangers, so if they told Green that then they must have been lying to him.

Either he's not too bright and believed their lies or he's more clever than I thought and his comment is pure sarcasm.

If the transfer ban stands, my assumption is that the strategy for Rangers is to keep as many of the current players at the club as is reasonably possible.

That said, the possibility still exists that it will not stand, if the club pursues a legal fight as far as it will go.

Edited by tangent60

If the transfer ban stands, my assumption is that the strategy for Rangers is to keep as many of the current players at the club as is reasonably possible.

That said, the possibility still exists that it will not stand, if the club pursues a legal fight as far as it will go.

I think he has to proceed on the basis that the ban stands. Any legal moves will go on well into the summer and possibly beyond.

A transfer embargo might work in favour of Green and the consortium from a purely business view point. Gives them a year to get the books balanced without the chance to bring in any signings.

How could they balance the books in the first year if we aren't playing in Europe and can't sign players? Without Europe, the only way to balance the books would be to sell high earners and replace them with low earners, so if the transfer ban stands the only way to do that would be selling our high earners and replacing them with youngsters.