SPL Clubs to meet next week to discuss newco vote

Another meeting about a meeting, just have the bloody meeting ffs.

I'd imagine this will be the "lads, lads let's not be too hasty" meeting.

Recommendations:

1. Proposal that Rangers are voted into the SPL.

2. Immediately relegate the club as punishment for the audacity of coming under the ownership of a newco.

3. Tell the world and his rabid dog that sporting integrity is intact.

All pretty much as per Roddy Forsyth's piece yesterday... here

I don't think the CG Consortium have the stomach for Division 3 and I have no doubt that compromises are being sought.

I hope the outcome is something that we as fans can stomach though. :thinking:

Edited by MeAndMyWeePalJoe

I honestly think Div1 is a good option.

Even if we go to Div3, I fear we might not hear the last of the need for "punishment". Remember, the SPL vote is not actually an official mechanism for the other clubs to punish us - it's not a tribunal, there's no evidence being presented. I have a horrible feeling that the SFA will attempt to apply official sanctions on us regardless of which league we're in. If we are hit with the official sanction of relegation to Div1 due to the sins of previous owners, then by logical extension no-one will be able to officially deny us our history.

It's not ther getting in, it's the punishments that worry me making it hardly worth the bother, just so they can keep the TV money.

The thing WE have to think about is how it impacts US.

If we stay in the SPL we might be able to keep hold of our better players, although with sanctions likely to include revenues (TV revenue isnt massive but it would hurt to lose it) there will be a fair amount of juggling of players and contracts - I have a feeling that some (McCulloch, McGregor, Naismith for example) would take salary cuts to remain with us - but only if we stay in the SPL.

If we are relegated to division 1 we might be able to keep some of the better, younger, players such as Ness, Hutton, McCabe etc and loan out some of our other better players such as Naismith, McGregor, Davis etc for 6 months or the season. 1 year may not be a massive issue to these guys.

However, if we go to division 3 then we almost undoubtedly will lose ALL of our better players and for a pittance. Sure, we should come back through the divisions, but we probably will still be financially depleted. Now, some will undoubtedly say that we wont have those high earners ont he books so we should be able to balance things financially, which is fair enough. But what about when we get back to the SPL ? We will ALL want to be challenging for OUR TITLE immediately - the issue with that is we will enter the SPL with division 1 players - the cost to bring in the necessary experience and talent would see us hit that cycle of over-spending (probably) again.

I HATE that we are effectively begging these chunts to let us stay in the SPL and have also long thought that division 3 is the better option, but I actually now think division 3 is the worst option for us when emotion is taking out of things. Division 1, for me, would be a suitable compromise and may see us retain our better players - one would hope though that the players will be open to a re-negotiation of their contracts on more reasonable terms, and from what we know some will but some wont.

Even if there is a points penalty we should still be strong enough to finish top 6 (I know, I know...) but a points penalty should be for ONE season only - any more and I would be back to the "Tell them to go fuck themselves" stance.