Falkirks' Chairmans' Response To Rangers Situation

Martin Ritchie Statement

Martin Ritchie has responded to the many requests the Club have had regarding the Rangers situation. The Chairman has requested we post the following statement for our fanbase :

â??Many supporters have expressed concerns regarding the potential â??Rangers Newcoâ?? outcomes and their impact on Scottish football, the SFL and our own club. We clearly have no say on whether the SPL wish to accept the â??Newcoâ??into their league next season. â??

â??However, as a member of the SFL, we do have a say in whether a â??Newcoâ??would be admitted into the SFL. David Longmuir, Chief Executive of the SFL, contacted all SFL clubs this week and assured them that any meaningful proposals would be put before all SFL members.â?

â??The board at Falkirk FC strongly believe the current turmoil should be a catalyst for change in Scottish Football. League reconstruction, First Division play-offs, a fairer distribution of the gameâ??s wealth and the ending of undemocratic voting systems should be the minimum level of change.â?

â??It would totally unacceptable if a â??Rangers Newcoâ? were admitted to the First Division on the current rules. Even a weakened â??Rangers Newcoâ? would have resources that far outstripped all other First Division clubs and this would pretty much guarantee them promotion before the season even starts.â?

â??Fairness is a word not often quoted in the current situation. However, I think it worth reminding everyone that when Falkirk FC were faced with provision liquidation in 1998, the new consortium of owners paid every creditor (including the Inland Revenue) in full, i.e. 100 pence in the pound. If we had gone down the route taken by many clubs since then paying only a fraction to their creditors, we would have had the resources to accelerate the development of our stadium and make an earlier return to the SPL.â?

â??Any decisions taken by our board will be made in the best interests of our club and of Scottish football.â?

Martin Ritchie (Chairman)

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php...986&Itemid=320

To be fair, Falkirk have been well and truly dumped on in the past so I can see why Ritchie's not inclined to do anyone any favours.

But us going to Div3 would only delay the scenario he's outlining here.

To be fair, Falkirk have been well and truly dumped on in the past so I can see why Ritchie's not inclined to do anyone any favours.

But us going to Div3 would only delay the scenario he's outlining here.

Well perhaps. He probably see's Falkirk as being one of the favourites for promotion in a league that doesn't include Rangers. And as a number of similar sized SPL clubs might be on the ropes shortly he probably fancies Falkirk's chances of staying in the SPL if they can win promotion this coming season. As ever his statement is self interest not for the better of football. I'm not sure he deserves much criticism for that mind.